PDA

View Full Version : Melabs PIC Basic Pro - 16 bit devices support

rod27cn
- 13th May 2007, 15:52
I wish melabs would come up with the support for 16 bit PIC devices. Although I know that I am still not over 8 bits devices yet, however it would always be nice to know that there will be something after 8 bit devices that my compiler can support.

Sergeant
- 24th May 2007, 04:30
24F, 24H, 30 & 33 series, 16-bit PICs are trying to make headway... the current design competition has a lot of us muddling through C to put something together.

Support for these chips would be most welcome.

Brian
- 25th May 2007, 20:44
I agree this would be nice.

Ron Marcus
- 25th May 2007, 21:56
I spoke with Charles at Melabs. He said it is not as simple as writing a new include file. The architecture is drastically different, and when it appears, it will be a whole new beast. So much for my $25.- upgrade!
Ron

mister_e
- 26th May 2007, 00:19
Yes they are really different animals indeed. 'Till now, the only few Compiler i know that support them is
Microchip c30
Hi-Tech C
and MikroElektronika

C30 work pretty good.. but i don't like it. Hi-Tech is really nice... but a bit expensive if you use it for your own home-made purpose. MikroElektronika... i don't know.

And yes, ASM is still free... but a pain :D

Let's see what will happen.. finger crossed!

skimask
- 26th May 2007, 19:46
MikroElektronika... i don't know.

I've been keeping up on the Mikro Basic forums for the dsPIC/PIC24. I still don't know what to think about it and it seems like there isn't much of a customer base. I'm still half tempted to try it out. dsPIC/PIC24 can run 40MIPS vs. PIC @ 10MIPS, more flash, more ram, faster speeds, etc.etc.etc.
But, then I'd almost think I was some sort of traitor for switching brands.

mister_e
- 26th May 2007, 19:57
18Fs are really capable of many things but they have their own limit. We also know that there's tons of dedicated chips/module available here and there to make things simple, if you do few units and you don't really mind about the final cost... i don't see any obvious reason to switch to those 24/DsPic... But yes indeed, they are fast. You just need to know if you really them, if you really want to do everything in software OR add 1,2 extra dedicated IC.

Hard to tell...

rod27cn
- 20th November 2007, 05:06
Not only 16bit PIC devices are available but also 32bit devices.
I wish that melabs would consider also supporting those 32bit devices.

mister_e
- 20th November 2007, 05:18
They're really nice indeed. But, honestly they're probably much C oriented than basic. I wish we will see a Basic version of it one day. For now ASM and C work really nice... for what i've done with so far.

Microchip are crazy with their new starter kit pricing, grab the pic32 one, i think it's about 50$.. but will be available on public market on December only...

GeoJoe
- 20th November 2007, 23:25
I am constantly battling between using C and PBP. I absolutely love PBP. I can get my work done far faster than with C. I have had to use C in the recent past to create BLDC motor controller that PBP just couldn't handle. I am now working on a complex project that thankfully can be handled by PBP. This is only because I don't have to react too fast and the 18F Pic I am using has 128k program memory, of which I intend on using every bit.
RTOS and RAM sharing I think are the best advantages to C over PBP besides the higher level math capabilities of C. I would really like to see PBP offered with 16 bitability.

Acetronics2
- 21st November 2007, 09:21
Hi, All

These times, µChip offers The " Explorer 16 " board with its daughter cards, even with ICD2 at discount prices ...

try : www.microchip.com/graphics link i.e.

really nice, isn't it ???

here we see PbP "16 bits edition" could really be appreciated ...

and as the Explorer 16 card also supports some 32 bits processors ... This new Experimenting ground NEEDS to be explored !!!

Alain