PDA

View Full Version : PIC Newbie

azmax100
- 18th February 2007, 04:02
Hi all,

I am new to PIC. In fact I am totally zero with this MCU world.After going through this forum for some time i've decided to put myself in this community. I need some guide from you all out there if posible. I have few question for begining.

1. What do I need to get involve in PIC worl? (software & hardware).I already download PicBasic Software from Melab.I prefer Basic cause I think it is the simplest language for newbie like me.

2. For the programmer is it posible to do it on my own cause it's dificult toget here in my place. Anybody out there can help me with the schematic.

3. What is the best PIC for me as a newbie?

Hope not trouble you so much. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate if someone could point me to right direction.

see u.

skimask
- 18th February 2007, 05:16
Hi all,

I am new to PIC. In fact I am totally zero with this MCU world.After going through this forum for some time i've decided to put myself in this community. I need some guide from you all out there if posible. I have few question for begining.

1. What do I need to get involve in PIC worl? (software & hardware).I already download PicBasic Software from Melab.I prefer Basic cause I think it is the simplest language for newbie like me.

2. For the programmer is it posible to do it on my own cause it's dificult toget here in my place. Anybody out there can help me with the schematic.

Hope not trouble you so much. Thanks in advance and I really appreciate if someone could point me to right direction.

see u.

1) Which version of PBP did you get?
2) Go to Microchip.com, look up the PICKIT2. With that package, you can pretty much build you own programmer and use the software that goes with it.
3) Depends on what you want to do. Read a bunch of threads, get some ideas, and pick a PIC.

mister_e
- 18th February 2007, 11:47
Welcome in the addictions world ;)

You're right, it's easy to get started with Basic. However i will also recommend you learn a little bit of assembler one day. It's always handy.

BTW, you need
the compiler.. you have a demo version.
a code editor. I recommend MicroCode Studio. There's a free version available bellow.
http://www.mecanique.co.uk/code-studio/index.html
a PIC programmer. I second the PICKit 2 idea. There's still some free available here and there... but ~50$ worth the price to have peace of mind.

:eek: ok, have a look to the WinPicProg , IC-PROG and/or Winpic8000 websites. Everything should be there. I think the P16PRO40 and JDM are the most popular models.

bellow you'll find a whole thread talking about that
http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=703&highlight=simple+programmer%27

anything else than the useless PIC16F84 will be fine. But to begin some experiments, i'll suggest PIC16F628A or better... PIC16F88.

azmax100
- 20th February 2007, 07:28
Thanks skimask & mister_e for your guidance.

Now things come bit clear to me. trough my understanding I need:

Software:
MicroCode Studio. (already download)
Compiller. (already downlosd PicBasic Pro Demo version).

Hardware:
After reading some thread here http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=703&highlight=simple+programmer%27

I found this http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-pg2c.html and have download the schematic.It seem quite simple for me to get it done but i'm not sure whether I can use MicroCode Studio with this programmer.

can you please let me know?

If can't can you please provide me with Schematic diagram for the programmer that i can use with MicroCode Studio.
I really need your help to start with PIC.

Sorry for few dumb question.

Really appreciate your help. Thanks.

mister_e
- 20th February 2007, 15:35
No dumb question at all. You just need few tips.

MicroCode Studio is you code editor. It have nothing to do with you PIC programmer... apart that you can launch the PIC programmer software from it. but let's skip it first.

What you'll need to do.
create your code in MicroCode Studio
hit F9, to compile it. This will create a .HEX file
open ICPROG (or else application which fit your Olimex programmer)
select the right PIC #
open the .HEX file
program you PIC
enjoy your first program... or not depending ;)

later, we could launch ICPROG from MicroCodeStudio using the command line i just found bellow
http://www.ic-prog.com/cmdline.txt

T.Jackson
- 21st February 2007, 05:35
No dumb question at all. You just need few tips.

MicroCode Studio is you code editor. It have nothing to do with you PIC programmer... apart that you can launch the PIC programmer software from it. but let's skip it first.

What you'll need to do.
create your code in MicroCode Studio
hit F9, to compile it. This will create a .HEX file
open ICPROG (or else application which fit your Olimex programmer)
select the right PIC #
open the .HEX file
program you PIC
enjoy your first program... or not depending ;)

later, we could launch ICPROG from MicroCodeStudio using the command line i just found bellow
http://www.ic-prog.com/cmdline.txt

I think Mister E is quite possibly the most helpful person on here. Mind you, I only signed up as a member the other day, but it certainly looks like Mister E's the right person to ask for help around here. I just have to say, on top of the aforementioned list of ingredients there should also be a mention of the fact that a good understanding of electronics is vital. Without this you will struggle. No matter how easy the language. I think it’s a good assumption in saying that if you can throw together a simple circuit using discrete logic IC’s then you’ll do well with PICs. Best not to start with the latter.

Regards,
Trent Jackson

mister_e
- 21st February 2007, 18:18
Hi Trent,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for all the good words.

I have to agree, some electronic basics is needed. As you will notice, most of the user problem are about programming. In a really few case, we see hardware problems (appart those missing decoupling caps, bad psu etc etc).

At least, we have a nice community here and many user are always ready to help. Maybe why ALL forums exist ;)

azmax100
- 23rd February 2007, 04:52
Hi everybody,

First of all I have to thank to all of you especially mister_e for the time spending to answer my question. I really apreciate it so much.

For know I almost understand what do i need to start with PIC. I have very little knowledge in electronic but i will learn as much as posible and with the support from the very supportive forum members I think i would learn more from time to time.

I will start to work with the programmer and let you all know the outcome soon.

Thanks again.

Take care.