PDA

View Full Version : What have you done with PIC USB?

vacpress
- 14th February 2007, 02:43
Hey everyone! I want invite you to present your PIC USB projects (please!!!!)

There is a lack of working examples, and I would like to see some. If there is considerable response(please?! even one or two responses?) we can archive and present them as learning tools to avoid the difficulty of this stuff for a beginner!

All I can present is the USBDemo from mister e... that thing taught me quite a bit.. now i am developing the rest of my project to try and do my first usb project..

Anyone got anything more substantial to share?

Thank you!
Robert

vacpress
- 17th February 2007, 20:29
this forum is not getting any better on it's own.

mister_e
- 17th February 2007, 21:29
What do you expect? Working example served on a gold plate and for free or just some idea/existing stuff?

vacpress
- 18th February 2007, 11:07
well. many projects are not commercial, but then, we did spend some $ on the compiler...

i suppose i wanted to see at least 1 or 2 projects, of any complexity, which show a working example of usb hid use..

the example you put together is great, but i would like to see another approach, possibly with a different type of data...

the usb stuff is interesting to me. having limited time and ability to comprehend the multitude of variables and memory addresses and jargon involved, it helps to see the same information applied in different ways... it is how i teach myself.

thank you though as i seem to have your attention. your usbdemo program is very usefull to people like me.

all i have to offer is BS2 stuff... but, hey... i am working on a writeup to use a BS2 to control 3D models in solidworks through solidworks API.... surely that is a neat gift for certain people out there!

-robert

mister_e
- 18th February 2007, 11:38
most of what i did are prop to my customer so i can't post any of them here. But let's see what i did with 'till now

programmable audio patch board:
300 in, 300 out. saving patch cord and messy patch boards...

Custom Software dongle protection:
if the dongle is not installed, the software won't run... yeah i reinvented the wheel...

programmable power supply
16 outs (1 AMP), generate fixed or custom AC (+ variable dc offset), DC curves.
log each output current to the pc.
over-current protection

Analog & digital data logger

car radio decode dongle
for Blaupunkt, Porsche, Honda, Acura, Kia, BMW, Mercedes, Kenwood, Land-Rover, Audi, Hyundai, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Volkwagen, some GM and Volvo.

EEProm programmer

programmable and fix function/tone generator

multipurpose test and calibration jig

multi output programmable timer

and i know i forget some.

I have tons of other idea to do for my website... i just need some spare time...

Glad to hear you learned from the USBDemo.

Bruce
- 18th February 2007, 15:29
Something like this?

http://www.rentron.com/images/USB_MAIN.gif

vacpress
- 19th February 2007, 12:03
mister e..

im not sure what good a list of applications is.. i was just interested in seeing something else done with the usb pics.... hopefully some source and a schematic..

yes bruce.. something like that..

what dare i ask is it?

Bruce
- 19th February 2007, 15:28
It's an unfinished project I started, and never had time to finish. You're welcome to the source code http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/PIC_USB.htm

When I get time I'll finish the article. It uses a LAB-XUSB board from MeLabs, DS18B20 temp sensor, and EasyHID.

vacpress
- 20th February 2007, 04:17
bruce!

yeah.. that is great... now if only i was smart enough to convert the vb6 files to .net...

soon i will start a new thread about that.. i figured out most of the errors.. there is just 1 or 2 left... they may be hard ones though...

I definiately will contribute something soon.. I made a 'gestural controller' project using tilt switches, a hacked mouse, a BS2, RS232 and VB6.

i want to get this to be a USB pic and .net and then i will share it. ive slowly been working that direction.. an article\tutorial about the BS2 portion is almost done... should be up in a few days

Robert

Bruce
- 22nd February 2007, 00:25
Hi Robert,

I have a friend that's also working on a VB.Net app with EasyHID. If we get something going before you, I'll let you know.

T.Jackson
- 22nd February 2007, 10:56
Commercial DIY KIT that I designed back in 2005. Real-world interface using RS232 or USB with a converter or chip upgrade to 18f4550 with the inclusion of new firmware and slight PC-board mods. (Have not done this as of yet) Nice Windows-based GUI allows for a lot of experimentation. I do have some regrets with the design - if I had to do it all again I'd definitely do things much different. My second PIC related project, so I'm not kicking myself too hard. It was published in the Silicon Chip magazine back in Nov 2005 and is currently on sale at Dick Smith electronics for $49 !!! RRP: $99, so go grab yourself a bargain everyone! PIC16f877a @ 4MHz

Specs:
10 Digital Inputs
10 Digital Outs
2 ADC – (0-5) & (0-25)
2 Onboard Relays
1 Onboard Buzzer
1 Channel For Temp
1 Channel For Resistance

*Great buy at $49 AUS - parts alone would cost this!

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45dd62ed0591cb222740c0a87f9c0723/Product/View/K3090

Best Regards,
Trent Jackson

T.Jackson
- 22nd February 2007, 12:47
bruce!

yeah.. that is great... now if only i was smart enough to convert the vb6 files to .net...

soon i will start a new thread about that.. i figured out most of the errors.. there is just 1 or 2 left... they may be hard ones though...

I definiately will contribute something soon.. I made a 'gestural controller' project using tilt switches, a hacked mouse, a BS2, RS232 and VB6.

i want to get this to be a USB pic and .net and then i will share it. ive slowly been working that direction.. an article\tutorial about the BS2 portion is almost done... should be up in a few days

Robert

.net might not be able to handle those API calls. Does .net have support for calls from the gdi32 library, like Bitblt? I heard it doesn’t! I submitted an NES emulator to Planet Source code a while back, written in VB5, got some feedback from someone who attempted to port it to .net Apparently, it didn't turn out too well, resulting in nothing but compile errors. Can't run emulator in IDE - too slow.

Regards,
Trent Jackson

Luciano
- 22nd February 2007, 13:01
Hi Trent,

Search "Unmanaged Code".

.NET Development (General) Technical Articles

An Overview of Managed/Unmanaged Code Interoperability:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms973872.aspx

Best regards,

Luciano

vacpress
- 25th February 2007, 00:56
Trent,

I havent worked on it in a few week (building a CNC machine right now), but, i do remember getting very close to a working easyHID example in .net.

The api stuff seemed fine, the problem was a slight change in the syntax of some portion of the code i do not understand!

someday i may be begging for more help here, with more specifics! in the meantime, just try and convert the USBDemo code to .net.. It ALMOST works!

-R

.net might not be able to handle those API calls. Does .net have support for calls from the gdi32 library, like Bitblt? I heard it doesn’t! I submitted an NES emulator to Planet Source code a while back, written in VB5, got some feedback from someone who attempted to port it to .net Apparently, it didn't turn out too well, resulting in nothing but compile errors. Can't run emulator in IDE - too slow.

Regards,
Trent Jackson

T.Jackson
- 25th February 2007, 03:15
Trent,

I havent worked on it in a few week (building a CNC machine right now), but, i do remember getting very close to a working easyHID example in .net.

The api stuff seemed fine, the problem was a slight change in the syntax of some portion of the code i do not understand!

someday i may be begging for more help here, with more specifics! in the meantime, just try and convert the USBDemo code to .net.. It ALMOST works!

-R

Hi,

I don't pretend to know a great deal about .net, not even for a millisecond. I don't have it and have never used it...

My suggestion: Post the project on Planet Source Code in both the VB and .net Worlds. Good chance you'll get feedback from someone who might be able to help.

http://www.planet-source-code.com

Best Regards,
Trent Jackson