PDA

View Full Version : JDM type Programmer + WinPic800 (or whatever)

skimask
- 8th January 2007, 22:50
Greetings and hallucinations...
I'm about to turn a friend onto PIC's and PBP and all the goodness (or lack thereof) that I've come to know over the past few years.

Looking for comments (good or bad) on the JDM type programmers that I've seen on eBay, and also the WinPic800 software. They look like a generic type programmer that's relatively easy to update to new firmware (if needed) and looks like the software end is fairly well supported throughout the PIC community...

Thoughts?

mister_e
- 8th January 2007, 23:25
Well everybody know my opinion about those JDMs and freebies... depending the price of, i would suggest at least Microchip PICKIT 2 instead.

Archangel
- 9th January 2007, 02:12
Hi Skimask,
A JDM clone fresh from eBay is all I use, It came with winPIC800 and that wouldn't work for me, I do not remember why. ICPROG does work, and I haven't had any real issues with it. It was cheap and seems reliable. It did not come with a manual, it has a jumper you have to move when you change from the 18 pin to 40 pin PICs.
JS

skimask
- 9th January 2007, 14:46
mister_e - Well everybody know my opinion about those JDMs and freebies... depending the price of, i would suggest at least Microchip PICKIT 2 instead.

JS- Hi Skimask,
A JDM clone fresh from eBay is all I use, It came with winPIC800 and that wouldn't work for me, I do not remember why. ICPROG does work, and I haven't had any real issues with it. It was cheap and seems reliable. It did not come with a manual, it has a jumper you have to move when you change from the 18 pin to 40 pin PICs.
JS

I'm still using my Warp13 from a few years ago, works great. I tried to talk him into getting the MeLabs programmer, doesn't want to spend a lot of money, tried to tell him that you 'get what you pay for' sort of thing, won't listen. At least I talked him into buy a fully legal version of PBP (and he doesn't remember where he got his pirated copy, what kind of crap is that?). I'll look into the PICKIT2 and ICPROG.

What was the problem, in general, with the JDM clones?

mister_e
- 10th January 2007, 00:41
Programming error (even if the device is suppose to be listed/supported by those 3,4,5,6 different software)
PIC not supported
Intermittent
etc
etc
etc
Well, nothing to turn me on. 1 hour wasted to discover that it's a programmer or programmer software related problem pay a brand new Pickit, 2 hours, Melabs USB, and so on.

Yeah i will fart on those until they totally disapear of the earth... guess what, it will never happen.

Let's say you want to build your own... only your time wasted on worth, at very least, the price of a PicKit.

based on 40-50$/Hours job so far.

Yeah i'm from an old school as well... you got for what you pay for.

skimask
- 10th January 2007, 04:23
pay a brand new Pickit, 2 hours, Melabs USB, and so on.

Yeah i will fart on those until they totally disapear of the earth... guess what, it will never happen.

Let's say you want to build your own... only your time wasted on worth, at very least, the price of a PicKit.

based on 40-50$/Hours job so far.

Yeah i'm from an old school as well... you got for what you pay for.

I just went to the Microchip web site. I had NO idea that the PICKit2 was so inexpensive. Last time I looked, a programmer there was over $100+.
So, what's the difference between the $35 PIC KIT 2 @ Microchip (PG164120) and the MeLabs U2 (+ case + USB cable + header cable)?
It looks to me like there's a whole lot of not a lot of difference.
So, unless I'm missing something, for my money, given a choice between a clone for $20 and the PICKIT2, the choice would be obvious. And if it's what I'm thinking it is, I think I'm going to be spending a bit of money tomorrow with an upgrade (the ol' Warp13a is 8 years old after all, might be time for a new one anyways).

mister_e
- 10th January 2007, 05:55
Pickit is still growing with the age. It's working pretty good for me when i use it on the road. And it's a Microchip product... yeah the same doing the PIC... so they 'should' know how to program their PIC the right way now after some PICSTART disasters ;)

To push their product ALL microcontroller brand release cheap development kit now. Ti do one for 20$ with a little board in... I do remind one article in Electronic Design magazine talking about that.

Pickit support few device for ICD... really a few... for now. but if you're like me and NEVER use any ICD... it's not a problem.

35$ and it's USB.... how on earth you can build one yourself for this price if you include your time in?

And guess what... they include the programmer schematic and the USB bootloader source code in the package... ok there's 2 bugs in the config fuses but.. easy to change even if you don't know C language.

skimask
- 10th January 2007, 15:39
Pickit support few device for ICD... really a few... for now. but if you're like me and NEVER use any ICD... it's not a problem.

35$ and it's USB.... how on earth you can build one yourself for this price if you include your time in?

And guess what... they include the programmer schematic and the USB bootloader source code in the package... ok there's 2 bugs in the config fuses but.. easy to change even if you don't know C language.

The only ICD I have is a basic serial LCD connected to a spare pin using DEBUG and 2 buttons on 2 other spare pins...that's 'In Circuit', and it is 'Debugging' !

What's the deal on the config fuse bugs? Any links for the fix?

mister_e
- 10th January 2007, 18:40
euh... mmm i explain it bad... the config fuses setting are bad in the Pickit 2 bootloader firmware C code ONLY, the whole thing work really great.

So why i know the config fuses are bad? LMAO! i allow everybody to laugh here....

When i wanted to update the Pickit firmware, i choose a bad Hex code (probably a compiled program or else i don't want to remind) so i screw the Pickit 2. He was totally dead, no more USB connection etc etc etc.

So i surfed the provided CD, and discovered they shipped the source code for it... but not the compiled .Hex file. So i just open the Bootloader project and recompile it with C18 to have the .Hex to be able to dump it in via the dedicated ICSP point on the Pickit pcb. Got compilation error... Discovered it was something around the BOV config fuses and another one wich i don't remind. I just corrected them using the newer syntax and VOILA! no more compilation error and be able to dump the .HEX in the Pickit with my favourite BK844a programmer. I think i kept the .Hex somewhere.

Unless you do the same stupid thing as i did, you won't need it.

That's what not enough sleeping do!

skimask
- 10th January 2007, 19:01
So why i know the config fuses are bad? LMAO! i allow everybody to laugh here....

When i wanted to update the Pickit firmware, i choose a bad Hex code (probably a compiled program or else i don't want to remind) so i screw the Pickit 2. He was totally dead, no more USB connection etc etc etc.

So i surfed the provided CD, and discovered they shipped the source code for it... but not the compiled .Hex file. So i just open the Bootloader project and recompile it with C18 to have the .Hex to be able to dump it in via the dedicated ICSP point on the Pickit pcb. Got compilation error... Discovered it was something around the BOV config fuses and another one wich i don't remind. I just corrected them using the newer syntax and VOILA! no more compilation error and be able to dump the .HEX in the Pickit with my favourite BK844a programmer. I think i kept the .Hex somewhere.

Unless you do the same stupid thing as i did, you won't need it.

That's what not enough sleeping do!

Good moves :)
I just checked Microchip's site and discovered that they are out of stock. Well, I want one now....so I'm ordering 2 of the PG164120 PICKIT2's from Digikey at the same price, along with a half a dozen '4550's (thanks mister_e) and some ADXL330's. Good fun...good times.

If you say the PICKIT2 is good, then that's what I'll get and give to that friend of mine.

phoenix_1
- 20th May 2007, 10:42
I usage home made JDM and work for me 100% good.
You must look to RS232 cable must be max 50 cm langht !!!
If you need precise explanation of my JDM copy I send you
full datasheet of my.
I usage JDM with PonyProgrammer and also with ICprog last version !!!
In these moment I usage Windows Vista Ultimate and JDM work 100% with
these to software .
So if you need my help I will send you all about my copy of JDM.

[email protected]

best regards phoenix_1

skimask
- 21st May 2007, 01:34
I usage home made JDM and work for me 100% good.
You must look to RS232 cable must be max 50 cm langht !!!
If you need precise explanation of my JDM copy I send you
full datasheet of my.
I usage JDM with PonyProgrammer and also with ICprog last version !!!
In these moment I usage Windows Vista Ultimate and JDM work 100% with
these to software .
So if you need my help I will send you all about my copy of JDM.
[email protected]
best regards phoenix_1

No thanks. My PicKit2 worked great right out of the box, didn't have to build anything, didn't need any updates, didn't have to mess with anything, just plug and go...and well worth the ~$40USD I spent for it.

phoenix_1
- 21st May 2007, 14:01
No thanks. My PicKit2 worked great right out of the box, didn't have to build anything, didn't need any updates, didn't have to mess with anything, just plug and go...and well worth the ~$40USD I spent for it.

You have right for your PicKit2.It's good.
I have about 10 programmer's in my office (office is at home).
Some is proffesional buth i like to try circuits to see hove it's work.

My basic profesion is to design electronic for pasinger car.
I work also in Mercedes Benz - Serbia like electronic servicer.

my best regards to you and all.

p.s My schematic and pcb tool software is Altium Designer 6
but I also usage Protel 99 SE becouse I was start wit Protel for dos etc...

resume: PicKit2 is wery good that is also my resume.

BYE

T.Jackson
- 21st May 2007, 14:41
I've got a Phd in psychology - anyone believe me?

phoenix_1
- 10th June 2007, 10:58
See PICKIT2 for 24.50 US$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIC-KIT-2-COMPATIBLE-MICROCHIP-PROGRAMMER-USB-PICKIT2_W0QQitemZ180128531510QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I buy one from and it's work 100% good.
Regards

P.S and it's not 100 US$ !

mvs_sarma
- 26th September 2007, 13:35

http://cgi.ebay.com/PIC-KIT-2-COMPATIBLE-MICROCHIP-PROGRAMMER-USB-PICKIT2_W0QQitemZ180128531510QQihZ008QQcategoryZ46 61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Regards

These items are one off sales and it may be PICkit2 compatibles-- however they will be out of stock by the time one orders.. also no support wiill be forthcoming form an ONLINE sales group.

mvs_sarma
- 26th September 2007, 13:37

Regards

These items are one off sales and it may be PICkit2 compatibles-- however they will be out of stock by the time one orders.. also no support wiill be forthcoming form an ONLINE sales group.

PS:I said it rightly-- bidding ended for this item

phoenix_1
- 27th September 2007, 09:50

PS:I said it rightly-- bidding ended for this item

Well if something is clone 100% then it meen that thing can use original firmware.

All tipe of programmers what use DC/DC converting and USB power can't supply target board's , and you maybe sometime need that.

Simple EpicPlus programmer can do all - it is low cost and very good,if you little mod. that
programmer and put 3.3V Vcc support also regulated Vpp from 5-13V then you can do many thing with that almost silence programmer.

And for finish hove many different PicMicro you use for your project's ??
Maybe standard 12F629,12F675,16F628,16F877(A),18F2550,18F4550 and small number of peoples use dsPIC... ism't is true ???

If you use MicroCodeStudioPlus and PBP then you have RS232 debuger what work via RS232
and HW UART in PicMicro.
Did you need then programmer with debuder option (ICD) ???

My question about JDM was becouse I was have some problem's but I was fix that.
That programmer is simple and self power programmer but I was never say that is good programmer becouse maybe is good - but program rutine ICprog is maybe bad ???

And for finish we all have right to say what we want and we are all in right.

THE BEST PROGRAMER'S are profesional and they cost from couple hundred to maybe 1500-2000 US$ and all programmers what we use are amateur !!!

My best regards to all

(I support mister_e he is man who help to all to much)

sorry for my bad English !!!

phoenix_1
- 27th September 2007, 10:01
I've got a Phd in psychology - anyone believe me?

Hi Jackson,
My name is Robert Pucko and I was work in Mercedes Benz "Trijaska" in Backi Petrovac and one year ago I was transfer to "MikoM" in Novi Sad.
Simple you can check in Mercedes Benz in Germany if you want.

Here I am like hobbyst not like prof.

I use Pic for hobby project's in free time ( but I don't have too much free time).
Buy the way I am 37 year old and not kid like someone ...

Best regards

mackrackit
- 27th September 2007, 13:42
(I support mister_e he is man who help to all to much)

I could not agree more. If it were not for Mr.E, a newbe like me would be LOST!

mister_e
- 27th September 2007, 14:21
Thanks guys... but without you and other regular (Darrel, Bruce, Melanie etc etc) i wouldn't be here....

As everybody, i learn new stuff each and every day. Just trying to answer to others problem is a nice motivation source. You can't imagine how much i learn that way.

The trick is to never give up and don't be afraid to work on something.

Worst case, it won't work and/or you'll get some compilation error. Learn from error and from example is probably the best way i found. Nice learning curve.

T.Jackson
- 27th September 2007, 14:30
Hi Jackson,
My name is Robert Pucko and I was work in Mercedes Benz "Trijaska" in Backi Petrovac and one year ago I was transfer to "MikoM" in Novi Sad.
Simple you can check in Mercedes Benz in Germany if you want.

Here I am like hobbyst not like prof.

I use Pic for hobby project's in free time ( but I don't have too much free time).
Buy the way I am 37 year old and not kid like someone ...

Best regards

Well that's nice-to-know, Robert, best of luck with it all.

mackrackit
- 27th September 2007, 14:42
Thanks guys... but without you and other regular (Darrel, Bruce, Melanie etc etc) i wouldn't be here....

As everybody, i learn new stuff each and every day. Just trying to answer to others problem is a nice motivation source. You can't imagine how much i learn that way.

The trick is to never give up and don't be afraid to work on something.

Worst case, it won't work and/or you'll get some compilation error. Learn from error and from example is probably the best way i found. Nice learning curve.

Yep, when I started teaching, (High school Math + Science) I found out that the best way to learn is to teach.

Credit where credit do, thank you to Darrel, Bruce, Melanie, etc. I was not meaning to sound ungrateful to them.:) It does take all. As Joe says,"WoW Man, this is cool . . . .".

T.Jackson
- 27th September 2007, 14:49
Yep, when I started teaching, (High school Math + Science) I found out that the best way to learn is to teach.

Credit where credit do, thank you to Darrel, Bruce, Melanie, etc. I was not meaning to sound ungrateful to them.:) It does take all. As Joe says,"WoW Man, this is cool . . . .".

Dave, just curious - what qualifications do you have?

mackrackit
- 27th September 2007, 15:38
Dave, just curious - what qualifications do you have?

None:)

I am one of those self taught engineers. Where some work nights to go to college, I had to support myself through high school (first full time job age 15)

For the past twelve years I have been the lead engineer for a chemical/fertilizer company designing their electrical/mechanical systems.

I do not teach in a school, my wife and I Home School our kids. Now for the proud Dad part:

Daughter, 18, Junior in college, major Biology.
Son, 17, Sophomore in college, major Computer Science/Law Enforcement.
Son, 10, Youngest in the county where we live to receive a Ham Radio license, and is learning Liberty Basic.
Daughter, 8, Started playing with Basic Stamps.

So... No qualifications, just accomplishments.

Sorry to go on about my kids, NOT:D Just could not help myself!

T.Jackson
- 27th September 2007, 15:51
No worries. I guess we cancel the BBQ then.

nomad
- 30th September 2007, 05:47
i'm poor folk, so i went for an enhanced jdm from ebay. enhanced as it has extra transistor for proper power up so you can program those set to internal osc and mclr off. first off it didnt come with a cable. add $6 no software win pic 800 works well though. the big problem was my serial port. had to use external power source or my wifes computer. thought it was defective until i tried it on her computer. but for a total cost of under $30 works for me! it has jumpers for internal/external power, 8-18pin / 28-40 pin, a universal 40 pin zif, and an icsp header. i put it in a little project box and now haven't had a problem since. can get the link when i get home if anyone wants it. is an ebay store. (sorry for the formatting, am on my phone)

nomad
- 10th December 2007, 13:12
i'm still using this programmer. but after having to switch software to support a couple chips, put it in a case, buy a cable, etc etc etc i'm getting a pickit2 next month. lol was a great learning experience though. am now quite familiar with pic programming requirements and jdm trouble shooting <G> oh and my cheap route is now over 60 cash outlay not including all the time invested.