PDA

View Full Version : Compiled Hex File does not have Config Word

GoingMad
- 2nd December 2006, 18:03
Hello to one and all,

I am in desperate need of assistance. I am currently using Pic Basic Compiler and a Velleman k8048 programmer. I have written a simple file (from the Pic Microcontroller Project Book; John Iovine) to blink 2 leds on and off using the high, low and pause commands to test the compiler. After using the compiler, it tells me the program has compiled with no errors. However, when I load the hex file into the Pic Programming software, it tells me "No Config-Word in File".

To test programmer, I downloaded freeware mikroBasic and wrote the equivalent code, compiled and loaded into programmer with no problems.

Please can someone let know if they have had a similar problem or if I HAVE to use the Epic Programmer. I have tried everything I can think of including trying to run a modified .asm file generated by Pic Basic Compiler through MPASM.

Thanks
GoingMad

mister_e
- 2nd December 2006, 19:20
Yes you can define your config fuses in your code... but i don't know if Velleman's kit support them. It should but i don't have it. Maybe there's another software supporting this programmer?

Anyways, see the FAQ to know how to set config fuses into your code

Archangel
- 4th December 2006, 02:22
Hello to one and all,

Please can someone let know if they have had a similar problem or if I HAVE to use the Epic Programmer. I have tried everything I can think of including trying to run a modified .asm file generated by Pic Basic Compiler through MPASM.

Thanks
GoingMad
Hello, I read his book and assembled most of his projects. I use a JDM clone programmer I got off ebay for 12 bucks. It programmed all his code no problem although I had to set the config fuses manualy, as I did not know how to set them in code as he neglected to include that in his book. I learned it here. So I would have to say, no I do not believe you have to get an epic programmer to use PIC Basic Pro, even if that is what they recommend. Now you may choose to use it, I didn't because I was unwilling to pay for it. The JDM clone has not failed to program any supported device I have tried. What programmer
software are you using? You have to tell micro code studio to use your particular software or it will default to epic and it will not run your programmer. ICPROG workes for me and is freeware on the internet. http://www.ic-prog.com/index1.htm
JS