PDA

View Full Version : Popular LCD modules

skimask
- 21st November 2006, 02:32
Opinion question...
What are some of the more popular LCD modules out there, graphic or text mode based? Ya know, something that probably won't be discontinued in the next month or next year or so.

I'm planning on making a dozen or so serial display/keypad modules to interface with PIC projects and would like to standardize the mounting holes for the whole module to fit the case correctly....not only now, but say next year, or the year after, when I want to build a few more.

I've got 4 types of modules on hand at the moment: 2 graphic types (1 SED1520 based 122x32 from lcdmodkit, 1 G1213 based from mouser), 2 text based (1 16x2 from mouser, 1 20x4 from a surplus). Of course they all mount differently. I prefer the graphics based over the text based. But like it always seems to happen, if I wanted to build another batch of the same thing next year, is the company that makes them going to be in business? Is the same module going to be available for purchase?

Is there any sort of standard mounting format for any of these modules or is it always going to be hit-or-miss.
JDG

Melanie
- 21st November 2006, 09:34
There are many common formats which are copied by various manufacturers that provide continuity of supply.

For example the PowerTip PC1602F layout (16 character x 2 Line) is followed by at least half a dozen different manufacturers. This is one of my favourite formats available pretty much all over the world, so if your 1st choice supplier suddenly has a problem, you can still get stock from alternative sources.

It's always a good idea to chose your components from an established manufacturer (like PowerTip) in the knowledge that the smaller ones will almost certainly make their own copies of popular parts at far lower prices than the original.

The alternative is to buy in bulk now and stockpile two or three years requirements... you then realise how expensive buying in small quantities actually is when you find 16x2 LCD's with Backlights at sub-$5. It makes you resent looking in catalogs like Digi-Key or Mouser when you know that they still have 100% mark-up even when you look at their 1000-off column...

mister_e
- 21st November 2006, 15:29
And there's CrystalFontz wich are not too bad, pricing is fair... well better than Digikey or mouser, Jameco...

They have NICEs GLCDs and tiny 4x20 mmm ...

skimask
- 22nd November 2006, 05:40
WOW! I wish I'd have run across those 2 companies years ago! A person could buy a decent quantity of those and give away half of them as gifts and still be way ahead of the game. Couldn't find a price list for the PowerTip brand though... I'd assume it's inline with the CrystalFontz pricing, give or take a bit.

Now all I have to do is find a few people to go in and buy a big quantity of them to spread the cost out and I'm in there....
Thanks for the info...

mister_e:
You said 4x20mm...was that a typo or did I miss a really small module? :) Seriously though, I am looking for a really small, dense module, along the lines of the smaller than the size of a cell phone display, doesn't have to have a 100x100 pixels, but something around a 16x4 lines of text (96x32 pixel?) would be good...but much smaller than CrystalFontz or PowerTip shows...

JDG

skimask
- 3rd April 2008, 03:05
Looked thru the CrystalFontz, Powertip, Digikey, Mouser, Allied, Pioneer, Arrow, and a dozen other sites...
I need at least 10 backlit LCDs that'll fit INSIDE of a 2.5" x 1" ( 63mm x 25mm ) space, mounting space and PCB included. The thinner the better, but I can stand about 3/4" (18mm) thick, maybe 1" (25mm) at the most. Character, Graphic, whatever works, but I need to display alphanumerics. At least 8 characters, the more the better, one or two lines, don't care, I'll work around other formats. 7-segment, 15-segment LEDs, things like that just plain won't do. I've got a couple of these Mobiblu Cube DAH-1500i MP3 players. An LCD like that would work great if I could find some data for it (which of course I can't).
Any ideas or links?
Oh, and a laser projector, while definitely doable, is out... :)
Oh #2...ribbon cables and/or ribbon cable attachments are out, unless that cable is seriously flexible...

KVLV
- 3rd April 2008, 06:17
skimask
have you tried this site >> http://www.matrixorbital.com/

T.Jackson
- 3rd April 2008, 06:34
You know every time I see mister_e's picture (the head bang'n on the desk gif) -- reminds me of a case I studied for my assignment on capital punishment. In the states a few years back they executed this guy in the gas chamber (I think he was a pedophile) -- took over 10 minutes for him to pass out, he spent most of those 10 minutes banging his head on a pole (this is the part that reminds me of mister_e)