PDA

View Full Version : Card reader/writer

joseph Degorio
- 20th November 2006, 13:55
Hi everyone, I would like to study on building card reader/writer to be use in PIC. How is it possible, can you help me start?

Thanks in advance,
joe

Jumper
- 20th November 2006, 17:48
Is it a EE-prom Card, a smart card or a magnetic card i.e. VISA? :-)

You need to give a little more info but if you are looking for the VISA card solution you will not find it here (Melanie would kick our asses!!!)

and as always, she would be RIGHT.

/me

Melanie
- 21st November 2006, 10:15
I did post a pretty-much indestructible bullet-proof Mag-Card reader program on the MeLabs website some years back - but I won't enter into discussion on applications of it. If you figure out how it works, then you can figure out what to do to bend it to your desired application. I know one University uses it as a programming study aid (very commendable) whilst students at another use it to crack the door-entry codes for access throughout the campus (also commendable). Always supporting small family businesses, Don Corleone if you're reading this, I'm still waiting for my Royalties on the Mafia/gangland Credit-Card Fraud racket...

keithdoxey
- 21st November 2006, 11:03
Don Corleone if you're reading this, I'm still waiting for my Royalties on the Mafia/gangland Credit-Card Fraud racket...

Surely the fact that you arent wearing a concrete overcoat is reward enough :)

joseph Degorio
- 21st November 2006, 11:36
Thanks for the reply (Melanie & jumper), I'm really a beginner and what I wanted to do is to use a card that will turn on a motor. What do you think is the easiest set up to use (components) to start this project?

thanks in advance,
joe

Melanie
- 21st November 2006, 12:39
The kind of overcoats I had in mind were the soft furry type...

Joe, it comes back to the reply posted by Jumper - what kind of card are we taking about? Credit Card type thing (Magnetic Strip), or an iButton type card (London Underground Oyster Card), or a Smart Card of sorts like you plug into your Satelite/Cable Box, or just a dumb EEPROM type card like you use for your Digital Camera's... there's loads of different cards out there, what kind of CARD did you have in mind?

joseph Degorio
- 21st November 2006, 13:08
Melanie,

magnetic strip is what I have in mind...

thanks for the patience,
joe:)

Melanie
- 21st November 2006, 13:23
This ready-canned program...

http://www.melabs.com/resources/samples/submitted/MagCard.txt

...will dump Track 2 (the one containg the Credit-Card big number, expiry date etc) from the Mag-Strip into a RAM Buffer... what you do with it from there is up to you...

joseph Degorio
- 21st November 2006, 13:56
thanks melanie....