PDA

View Full Version : Damn these low power PIC and other Microcontrollers

keithdoxey
- 12th November 2006, 13:05
Hi All,

As Christmas approaches I have come to the conclusion that PICs and other Microcontrollers using minute amounts of power and having the ability to put themselves to sleep is not neccessarily a good thing.

Many moons ago when I were a lad, you would receive toys for christmas and birthdays that required batteries. If you were really lucky a set of batteries *might* last the whole day but more often than not they would have died within hours.

My son is currently playing with a VERY noisy toy that he got almost two years ago and I believe it is still on the original set of batteries. The house is full of similar noisy toys that just wont die even if you dont switch them off :(

Whilst in engineering and environmental terms this is a major achievement, not only do the batteries last longer but they also take much smaller and fewer batteries, as a suffering parent it is a real annoyance :)

I dread to think how many other noise making devices will surface in just over a months time with two lots of birthday and christmas presents being opened within an 8 day time period.

Time to invest in some noise cancelling headphones I think :)

Obviously this moan is tongue in cheek as at least one of the forum members is earning his living from developing such devices.

Now if only my house was so miserly with electricity !!!!

Luciano
- 12th November 2006, 18:06
Hi,

I prefer toys which stimulate the creativity and imagination of the children.
My children are not "microcontrolled".

Best regards,

Luciano

keithdoxey
- 12th November 2006, 18:56
My children are definately creative and have very active imaginations.

My son will be three in December and he is already taking an interest in the things that I build.

My daughter will be ten in December and has already assembled 5 or 6 Velleman kits and we are about to design a robot that she wants to build.

Regards

mister_e
- 12th November 2006, 19:19
:D i always admire all of you having to deal with children and those toy. But i'm one of those who like to give those toys :D

When i was young, i was interested by my father work. Electronic stuff... one day he buyed me one of those 200 in one Radio-Shack electronic kit. Thanks dad!

Luciano
- 12th November 2006, 19:53
Hi,

(I am trying to stimulate the discussion).

What about reading books, playing music, playing football?

Or what about trying something new that nobody else has done
before in the family?

Best regards,

Luciano

sayzer
- 12th November 2006, 20:22
I was about to post something similar to Luciano's.

Robots or electronics, or something scientific in general?
Are they supposed to be something good for the children for their future if they start learning about them today?

Who knows, may be these will turn out be something bad in the future.
Who can suggest to be a scientist rather then being a singer, or a soccer player, or a ballerina, or F1 racer?

Who can prove that one is better then the other? Based on what criteria?

As long as people make choices, No One Can.

mister_e
- 12th November 2006, 21:00
As long as children wants to do or try something... there's no problem. Now most parent simply don't show them what they can do... it's endless.

My personnal opinion is that unfortunately, most parent now simply plug-them on their X-Box , Ps2 and stuff like to have peace. Nothing really interesting, nothing creative. When we was young, such thing didn't exist (or started).

Yes, parents MUST force (a little bit) their children to go out, have friends, do some sports... Yes, yes, yes! Children are not only cute... they're the future.

There's no better future job choice. Even money is not a good point. As long as they like what they do and they have enough money to pay their food, bill and some extra...

Archangel
- 12th November 2006, 21:39
Hi keithdoxey,
Here is your opportunity to invent the remotely operated battery zapper! A device supported by beleagured parents and Grinches everywhere. :) Make sure the deluxe version works on Drums and Trumpets too!
JS

keithdoxey
- 12th November 2006, 22:52
When i was young, i was interested by my father work. Electronic stuff... one day he buyed me one of those 200 in one Radio-Shack electronic kit. Thanks dad!

I had a "Phillips Electronic Engineering Kit" round about 1969 I think ??

Just had a quick google and someone has a page all about the kits
http://ee.old.no/1000/

For as long as I can remember I have been pulling things to bits and until the age of about 14 usually had several bits left over. Now I only have bits left over intentionally :)

It used to really annoy the hell out of me that everything I built at college worked first time, but anything built at home didnt work at first.

Then I realised that the things that worked first time only taught you how to put things together. The things that dont work teach you HOW things work because to get it working you have to understand exactly what is happening and what each part does.