PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started with Korean PicBasic

rad
- 4th August 2003, 06:37
http://www.comfile.co.kr/english2/study/pbmanualf.html

Have you guys seen this? It has floating point built in.

Competition, so bad for us consumers...not.

Ingvar
- 5th August 2003, 12:16
Competition is good, but this seems more like a competitor to parallax Stamps. Am i missing something here?

/Ingvar

rad
- 5th August 2003, 21:21
The Korean made product is a stamp-like thing, correct.

But competition is actually a more broad concept than you are suggesting. So, the fact that a new pic based product(anywhere), apparently has arisen, with built in floating point capabilities, will in this broad way, now affect all pic products.

This is the subtle and powerful effect of competition. It's broad, and it's beautiful.

So yeah, to be blunt, you are missing something here, you're missing the very definition or complete understanding of competition. But it's no big deal. You just weren't focusing broadly enough.

Ingvar
- 5th August 2003, 22:45
Excuse me, i was only wondering if i was missing the fact that this company also was making a standalone compiler. They are making a "module" consisting of nothing but a single chip. My guess is that this is a preprogrammed pic. I don't think it's to far fetched too wonder if they also sold the code that's programmed into it. That would be very interesting......

I have not suggested anything about comptition, in big or small terms. Infact i'm very, very, very greatful to parallax that they came up with the Stamp. PicBasic compilers in general and Melabs PicBasic in perticular is a direct result of this. So, yes i do see the whole picture.

I was only asking a question cause i wanted more information. I wasn't trying to belittle your tip or the product. It seems you might have thought i did. Believe me, i didn't.......

Regards
/Ingvar

rad
- 5th August 2003, 23:35
And I just posted the link,because it came up in a picbasic search, and thought you might enjoy seeing it too.

Let's all be hypersensitive for ten minutes; now begin.

All I know about the thing is they are calling it picbasic. That's either a compliment or perhaps a copyright infringement, I don't know.

you said: Competition is good, but this seems more like a competitor to parallax Stamps.

This not only suggests but also implys something about compitition, and competition too. They're your words.

Like I said, it's no big deal.

Ingvar
- 6th August 2003, 01:32
Hi Rad

Ok, english isn't my native language. I sometimes spell wrong and the grammar could be better. If this forum had a spellchecker i would use it. This means i'll keep making mistakes, you'll probably find more in this reply, sorry.

This forum is dedicated to Melabs PicBasicPro compiler, so i thought i would find a compiler, i didn't, that lead to my question. There really isn't more to it.

To me there is a big difference between a compiler and an interpreter. Maybe i'm narrowminded but i can't see them as competitors. They are similar in some ways but very different in others. I've used stamps for prototyping and "onetimers" but my commercial products are all made with the help of a compiler, assembler, C, basic or pascal.

Would you be kind and explain your "definition of competition", it seems to involve more than mine. I'm always open to new ideas and constantly try to widen my horizon.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to move this discussion to the OFF TOPIC area.

Chiao
/Ingvar

Corey
- 6th October 2003, 21:25
Hi Ingvar,

I think what Rad is referring to is that, if enough microcontroller products become available with floating point math, especially PIC based products, it will generate greater demand for that feature in all PIC or PIC based products.

Although the product he's referring to is apparently a Basic Stamp, it may possibly draw away some customers, whether current or potential, from PIC products that don't support floating point math. In theory, this will drive MicroEngineering Labs to also implement floating point math into their compiler.

So, although you, Rad, and I are not going to be using a Basic Stamp anytime soon, the emergence of floating point math in a Basic Stamp should affect us in a positive way.

Now, if the makers of PBP can implement floating point math and functions that can be passed variables we'll have it made!!!