PDA

View Full Version : USB joystick project

ZeroFusion
- 31st October 2006, 17:09
Hey,
I'm new to pic programming and for my final year at uni im doing something thats a little fun, building a usb pic controlled joystick! I'm writing a programme that i can use to test the joystick. I've not decided what to programme it in yet however its going to be either visual basic or C, C is preffered as im writing the programme in linux!

Can you help me with code to handle communication in and out?

thanks

sayzer
- 31st October 2006, 17:35
hi Zero,

Since you are in your final year at uni, I suggest that you consider a serial Joystick instead of a USB one.

Then, you can finish your project one day during a break in uni.

But if you chose USB, you will most likely finish your project after you graduate!

----------------------

scorpion
- 10th November 2006, 05:19
I made a USB joystick, but I used HIDMaker and It took about 2 days to get it how I wanted it.
If you use HID descriptors you dont really need a test program. windows has a config screen to take care of that for you and you will be able to test it out on some games.

edit: sorry linux... i read it, but i didnt read it.... sorry.

sirnoname
- 16th November 2006, 11:03
Make the Joystick as a mouse, then all 3D Shooter in Linux
are supported automatical :)
The mouse samples are deliverd by microchip ...

skimask
- 17th November 2006, 03:38
Hey,
I'm new to pic programming and for my final year at uni im doing something thats a little fun, building a usb pic controlled joystick! I'm writing a programme that i can use to test the joystick. I've not decided what to programme it in yet however its going to be either visual basic or C, C is preffered as im writing the programme in linux!

Can you help me with code to handle communication in and out?

thanks

Another final year at uni. Imagine that. X years at higher level learing facility and still asking basic questions....like how to do a search....go figure...

ZeroFusion
- 18th November 2006, 14:28
Another final year at uni. Imagine that. X years at higher level learing facility and still asking basic questions....like how to do a search....go figure...

I didn't say i was an engineering student, i'm doing this as an alternative project as part of my course. I agree with you in that alot of the people on my course don't even have a basic grasp on knowledge but i'm not them. I'm only trying to get a little advice here, I used to work for an electronics company for a short time and i'm trying to build on what little knowledge and understanding i have. I've coded my pic and all i'm tryin to do is find a list of commands and other tid bits of advice from you, the people that have done much more than me.

So once more can you help me?, all im lookin for is a few snipits of code that i can learn from and create my own for the test program. Be it C or Basic just give me somethin i can play with or tell me somethin i must look for first.

mister_e
- 18th November 2006, 19:21
There a mouse example in the PBP folder, it could help.

YES Mecanique EasyHID will help... but for Linux... i don't know :(