PDA

View Full Version : What is the easiest RTC chip of the moment?

paxmowa
- 12th October 2006, 13:21
Hi,

I will need to add a real time clock to an upcoming project and have been looking around for an RTC IC at the Dallas/Maxim website.

They have so many, which is the best and easiest to interface chip in their list?

I would also like it to have a build in cristal and preffer one with a serial interface, which still leaves me with a lot of options to choose from.

If anyone has any experience with one of these ICs, please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
Steven

sayzer
- 12th October 2006, 18:12
They have so many, which is the best and easiest to interface chip in their list?

Hi Steven,

Pick the "cheapest one" or as the correct saying "least expensive" one.

How would you determine which one is easier to interface?

Based on what criteria?

BobK
- 13th October 2006, 01:41
Hi Paxmowa,

I have used the DS1337 on numerous projects. There have been previous posts on this forum that have listed the code for using this chip. It uses the I2C protocol. It is very important that you get a crystal with a 6pf load. The use of any other crystal will result in the time not staying correct. This chip only costs a couple of dollars and the crystal was less than a dollar from Digi-Key.

Yes Maxim has many types of RTC's. You have to select one that will work for your application.

BobK