PDA

View Full Version : SerialPort access in visual basic express ed

rocky79
- 10th August 2006, 07:49
Hello,
I am trying to write a code to read/write from/to a microcontroller via a serialport terminal using visual studio express edition. Has anyone done it before and can provide sample code?.

Thanks

Acetronics2
- 15th August 2006, 14:32
Hi, Gary

Have a look here : www.rentron.com/VisualBasic.htm

Alain

rocky79
- 20th August 2006, 19:07
Hey Alain...and yes i am everywhere ;)
Thanks for the Link...i still have to convert from Vb6.0 code to the new visual basic express.Have you tried it it's free
Rocky

Luciano
- 20th August 2006, 21:05
Hi,

In .NET 2.0, the functionality of the MSCOMM control is restored in the form
of the SerialPort control (located under the Components tab in the Toolbox).

See this article + sample code:
http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/31001?type=kbArticle&trk=MSCP

Best regards,

Luciano

rocky79
- 24th August 2006, 20:32
Thanks luciano for the great link..I learned a lot from it. But i still have one thing that i can't quiete figure out which is how to recieve the data from the microcontroller. I am currently sending one byte at a time. and what is the idea behind the delegate?
thanks

keithdoxey
- 24th August 2006, 22:59
Hi,

In .NET 2.0, the functionality of the MSCOMM control is restored in the form
of the SerialPort control (located under the Components tab in the Toolbox).

See this article + sample code:
http://www.devx.com/dotnet/Article/31001?type=kbArticle&trk=MSCP

Best regards,

Luciano

Hooray :)

I looked at VBdotNET when it first came out and was totally stumped. Without exception, ALL my VB 6 projects have at least one Comm port in them and even the Microsoft import wizard gave up on trying to convert my projects.

I have also only ever worked on one ASPdotNET project. Someone at work decided that a project with a pretty short deadline should be done in ASP.NET even though non of us had any experience of it although a couple of people had been on a course.

Because I was familiar with ordinary ASP, I created a mockup of what I wanted the project to look like and it was fully functional within a day.

Trying to get the same thing done in ASP.NET took weeks and even then a couple of things that were a doddle in my mockup couldnt be achieved. It may well have been possible but non of us had enough experience to make it happen.

I might be persuaded to take another look at .NET now it has matured a bit and there is probably a bit more info on the internet by now :)