PDA

View Full Version : Rotary phone with PIC

Felch
- 14th April 2006, 21:46
Hi!
After noticing a similar project at sparkfun page i decided to write my own code. It emulates old phone with rotary dial and it also makes an attempt to ring a little bit. Works with Ericsson T28.
PIC 16F88 @ 4 MHz, internal clock
Works OK, comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Enjoy!

PS. Assembly is commented but in my language (estonian). Can translate, if anybody is interested.

Felch
- 14th April 2006, 22:10
Hi!
After noticing a similar project at sparkfun page i decided to write my own code. It emulates old phone with rotary dial and it also makes an attempt to ring a little bit. Works with Ericsson T28.
PIC 16F88 @ 4 MHz, internal clock
Works OK, comments and suggestions are most welcome.
Enjoy!

PS. Assembly is commented but in my language (estonian). Can translate, if anybody is interested.
PS/2. Forgot circuit...

mvs_sarma
- 1st December 2006, 19:29
Hi Felch

Lovely effort. would have given a good experience to you. I am a retired telecom engineer with Telephone instrument repaig experience. Thus i really liked your project.

as you know, the rotary dials have oulived-

perhaps realising DTMF dialing function, retreving the caller ID thro DTMF and FSK modes and try to store incoming and utgoing call records with perhaps small sd memory card interface,EMERGENCY LINE DIALING UNDER ROBBERY OR CALAMITY AUTOMATICALLY etc, leaving the speech functions to the dedicated chips.
I know, rather a large project.--

takes time -- but a good experience of realtime project

Congrats Felch, for what you have achieved

All the best

Felch
- 1st December 2006, 20:07
Thanks!
Actually it was a fun-project for the annual electronics-hobbyists and -engineers meeting (hold in Tallinn, Estonia every august), nothing more.
You could imagine the roar of laugh when, during a speech hold by one of participants, my phone suddenly rang...(real call, not "organized").
Don't know how things go in the wide world but in our country caller ID is not a free service (does not cost much, of course).

Are You quite sure that rotary dialers are dead? There are some "retro" mobile phones on the market right now... It's fun!
Btw, it's not difficult at all to implement a sound synth chip like ISD40xx in the circuit. Done it,works OK. Only...no good idea for using it. Must be fun also!