PDA

View Full Version : CAN support

schu4647
- 7th April 2006, 20:58
I would like to see some CAN in and out commands for the 18f series of micros with the integrated ecan.

schu4647
- 12th April 2006, 16:00
The reason I asked about a CANin/out command is because I work in the auto industry. I am using my PIC Basic Pro to make little gadgets for the assembly line to increase productivity. All of our vehicles now use CAN, so it would be really nice to be able to have these commands. I have been experimenting with using a stand alone controller, and I think I almost have it, but for cost and ease in the future, this would be nice.

schu4647
- 13th June 2006, 14:35
Is there any plan to add CAN. Looking at Mikrobasic, it has a whole can library. Will this be happening with PBP.

Christopher4187
- 4th July 2006, 19:15
I am looking for an example of how to communicate with the CAN network. Our locomotive uses CAN for communication with the engine and I am looking to do something similar like you are doing. I am going to order the CAN communication board from Circuit-ED and start playing around with it. Can you share an example of transmitting and receiving with CAN?

Thanks,

Chris

schu4647
- 5th July 2006, 02:41
if you simply want to read the CAN, I would recommend just buying something like a NeoVI which is sold by intrepid control systems. (Best tool I have found) It will read and send any messages you want and you can set up the software to interpret the messages in a matter of minutes. If you want to actually use the data to perform a function on you PIC, microchip has a lot of useful documents on their site for doing CAN. It explains the protocol and some example circuits both using the on Chip can and a stand alone IC. I must warn you CAN is a pretty complicated protocol.