PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Com Port win2k problems

folkc
- 19th February 2006, 03:39
This is probably a windows problem, not PBP. I've been using a Handyboard serial interface and charger version 1.1 at school on a desktop pc with no problems. Work on on my HP compaq nc8000 notebook running win2k. No ser light on the interface board. Windows claims the comm port is working correctly. Any ideas would be gratefully attempted.
Thanks,
Cris

Luciano
- 19th February 2006, 10:42
Hi,

Is the board powered off the COM port?
In some notebook computers the COM port provides very marginal voltages.

Best regards,

Luciano

folkc
- 20th February 2006, 16:14
Luciano,
The handyboard serial interface board a seperate power supply input from the microcontroller. The only connections to the PC are TX, Rx, and ground.
I forgot to mention that the interface board green ser. led does illuminate briefly when windows is booting, but extinguishes when the 'windows splash' displays. Since my first post, I've also checked this on a Win98se notebook with the same result.

Cris

folkc
- 20th February 2006, 16:15
Luciano,
The handyboard serial interface board a seperate power supply input from the microcontroller. The only connections to the PC are TX, Rx, and ground.
I forgot to mention that the interface board green ser. led does illuminate briefly when windows is booting, but extinguishes when the 'windows splash' displays. Since my first post, I've also checked this on a Win98se notebook with the same result.

Cris

folkc
- 20th February 2006, 17:16
Not sure what changed, but the Win 2k notebook PC is now communicating just fine with the Handyboard Serial Interface & Battery Charger board. Thanks.
Cris