PDA

View Full Version : Newbe problem

Russ Kincaid
- 31st January 2006, 15:28
I am using 16F627A, I started the program with:
symbol PortA = 5
symbol TrisA = $85
The compiler reports: "syntax error"; what is wrong?

Archilochus
- 31st January 2006, 18:19
I am using 16F627A, I started the program with:
symbol PortA = 5
symbol TrisA = $85
The compiler reports: "syntax error"; what is wrong?

Try this:
TRISA = %10000101
PORTA = %00000101

Arch

Russ Kincaid
- 31st January 2006, 20:00
PORTA = %00000101 changes the data register? That is not what I want to do.

Archilochus
- 31st January 2006, 21:13
PORTA = %00000101 changes the data register? That is not what I want to do.

What are you trying to change, if not the state of the port pins?

Arch

Russ Kincaid
- 31st January 2006, 21:18
I just want to define "PortA" as the number 5 so I can write "poke PortA" instead of "poke 5".
Actually, I don't want to do any of that, I just want to know why there is a syntax error when it is identical to what is in the demo program, which is supposed to be correct.

keithdoxey
- 31st January 2006, 21:35
Hi,

Are you sure you have posted in the right place ?

As far as I am aware Symbol is not part of PicBasicPro.

I certainly have never needed to use it but have seen it used to declare aliases in Proton+.

With regard to Peek and Poke, this is from the PBP manual...

However, all of the PICmicro registers can be and should be accessed without using PEEK and POKE. All of the PICmicro registers are considered 8-bit variables by PicBasic Pro and may be used as you would any other byte-sized variable. They can be written directly or used directly in equations.

TRISA = 0 ' Set PORTA to all outputs
PORTA.0 = 1 ' Set PORTA bit 0 high

Regards

BobK
- 31st January 2006, 22:09
Hello,

Peek and Poke are used in PicBasic not the Pro version. "Symbol" is a reserved word in PBP and is also used in the PicBasic Compiler.

As for the programmer you are using, Chuck has several programmers on his site. Which one are you using and which compiler program are you using?

Giving us as much detail as possible will allow us to help you quicker which also helps to reduce your stress point in dealing with PIC's.

BobK

keithdoxey
- 31st January 2006, 22:31
Peek and Poke are used in PicBasic not the Pro version. "Symbol" is a reserved word in PBP and is also used in the PicBasic Compiler.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that info. I wasnt aware that PBC was that different having only used the PRO version.

Because I hadnt come across "Symbol" in PBP but had seen it in a Proton+ program that I read I thought that maybe the original poster was using Proton.

I'll go back to sleep now :)

Russ Kincaid
- 1st February 2006, 12:46
I am using Microcode Studio and PicBasic Pro Demo compiler. The programmer is "EZPIC". I am getting my info from Chuck Hellebuyck's book, " Programming PIC Microcontrollers With PicBasic".

BobK
- 1st February 2006, 13:51
Hi Russ,

I have this book in front of me. You just stated that you are using PicBasic Pro. Peek and Poke are not used in this compiler. Chuck's book gives examples for both PicBasic AND PicBasic Pro. You will see, for example on page 158 an example of a program using PicBasic. On page 160 you will see the same program only written for PicBasic Pro. This is probably why you are getting the syntax error message. You can do the same thing from one compiler to another as long as the way you write is compatible with the respective compiler.

Quote from page 160 "If you compare the PBC program to the PBPro program it becomes clear that not having to PEEK and POKE makes the PBPro version much easier to use and understand."

I started out using PBC after working with Stamps. I quickly found the shortcomings and jumped to PBPro. PicBasic was written to advance from Basic Stamps to PICs and PicBasic Pro was the progression from Basic Stamp 2's.

Have another shot at the demo program using the Pro demo.

Have a nice day!

BobK

Russ Kincaid
- 1st February 2006, 16:50
Thanks, I didn't realize that I was using the pro version.