PDA

View Full Version : USB data dump

wheacock
- 24th March 2004, 14:11
I'm new to PBP. I love it so far. I'm working on data gathering instruments in experimental aviation.
I've been successful gathering data using a PAK VII chip for PWM channels and a MAX186 for analog channels.
I'm currently dumping data into a Pocket PC via RS232.
Then uploading into Excel
It seems that an improvement would be to dump directly into a data card (Compact Flach, MMC or equiv.)
The USB plug in converters as a small hard drive are getting quite cheap.

Can anyone help point me to someone maybe already doing this?
If not, a scenerio to begin such a project?

All help is appeciated!

Bill

G8RPI
- 15th April 2004, 15:29
Hi Bill,
just writing to an MMC card is easy, they have an SPI interface that is directly supported. There are two problems however, Frist you have to write in chunks of 512 bytes so you need a "scratch-pad" storage. Secondly it is just raw data, not formatted. This means you cannot read it directly from windows etc on a PC. Compsys have a project to store data on a MMC or SD card in FAT format, see
http://www.compsys1.com/workbench/On_top_of_the_Bench/MMC_Project/mmc_project.html#MMSD3

It uses PBP code. I tried to get a shipping cost to the UK for one of their kit's but they did not respond to my emails :(

Do a google search on SD MMC Pic basic you will get a lot of hits and several useful code examples.