PDA

View Full Version : Forum categories

NavMicroSystems
- 7th March 2004, 22:07
I would like to start a discussion regarding the categories.

we currently have the following categories:

- mel PIC BASIC Pro
- mel PIC BASIC
- PBP Wish List
- OFF TOPIC
- Code Examples
- Schematics
- Documentation
- Adverts
- REQUESTS
- TEST

As the number of members (and posts) is increasing it's probably worth to think about a change in structure of the categories.

My suggestions would be:

a category NEWBIE for really basic BASIC questions.
a 16Fxx(x) category
a 18Fxxx category (as there are 18F specific issues)
a category serial communication (1Wire, 2Wire, asynchronous etc.)
a category Hardware (ok, we already have "Schematics" but does it cover it all?)
a category tips & tricks (ok, we already have Code Examples but does it cover it all?)

... to be continued

Ideally Categories like Code Examples would be some kind of write protected to standard users to make sure only proven code ends up there.

I know all this will cause some new administrative issues as someone has got to do the job.

To grow a Forum and make it popular it requires a number of users that do not only "take" but also "give"

I personally find there are too many posts with no reply at all.
A new user that has finally signed up may get frustraded after her/his very first question she/he hasn't got an answer to.

What are your thoughts ?

P.S. excuse my english (it's not my native language)

lester
- 12th June 2004, 11:07
I am always pleased to receive new ideas for the forum layout and content.

Your suggestions is reasonable, however the lack of response, would seem to indicate that there is little interrestr in changing the forum,

If any users would like to see changes, please respond to this post with your ideas and suggestions.

Dwayne
- 14th June 2004, 16:12
Hello Lester and Nav

I can see both sides of the issues... I woudl be willing to help out in any way possible...

I programmed chips back in the very early 90's. I programmed the Philips chips, and it hasn't been until recently, that I have even tried PIC chips... Then it is a TOTALLY New lanugage of PBP for me... Why did I choose PIC's?
I got very frustrated with UV lights
25 min of waiting to program a chip...
a max of 30 erases on a chip,
Cost of the Philips...
the Hyarchy<sp>Harvard Tech basis of it
and the time it takes all together. (along with other reasons).

Thus, I *am* a newbe in so many ways, yet I have a lot of experience in programming in both high and low level languages.
I have built projects with Phlips chips, but very few with the PIC chips.

I have just been shown a shortcut with using Device...But it doesn't work for me...

@DEVICE PIC12F675,INTRC_OSC

Yet I cannot get it to compile past this...Something this dude doesn't understand why its not working, yet He thinks he has copied it correctly from the example given. <g>.

I try to save examples of peoples programs for learning issues, because I know I will come up against it someday.

I know it time, I will learn the syntax of the language, and things will become easier <g>. Building projects like my Single Pin Transmit and Recieve and other things is important, because they are the building blocks of my future projects.

If I can help out... I will try my best. I also understand that sometimes too much makes a forum more difficult to manage and keep going.

Dwayne

Dwayne
- 15th June 2004, 20:56
Hello Nav!

Lets try expanding on your idea... Lets come up with some forums that could be of use (especially for me <chuckle>).

1. Mel PIC BASIC Pro
Subcatagoried into different elements of..(or they can be catagories themselves
a. Using AC converters and info
b. Using LCD's and controlling via PBP and Manual
c. Using PWM and controlling them.
d. Using comparators and controlling them.
e. Using Clocks and Timing Situations.
f. communication between Chips and/or computers (I/O).
g. a category NEWBIE for really basic BASIC questions
h. a category Hardware
i. a category tips & tricks (This could be a archives of all the different forums.
j. Using EEProm, Ram, Memory, Syntax and other Compiler variables.

- mel PIC BASIC (Drop this...its dead for too long..)
- PBP Wish List

- Code Examples (This could be dropped, and be supported in the catagory that it is posted in, or be a archive)

- Schematics (This could also be dropped and be supported in the catagory that it is posted in, or be a archive).

- Documentation

- REQUESTS
- TEST

What can we do to improve the above, and make it easier to use, or support with little to no confusion?

Dwayne

Melanie
- 24th June 2004, 21:14
About the only thing I'd add is an FAQ category "Check here first before posting your Question". The same questions keep being asked... people just don't bother searching either here or in the email forum archive first, and consequentially the same answers keep having to be recirculated every few months.

lester
- 25th June 2004, 09:55
Personally I think that the FAQ is the best idea.

I think that subdividing categories is the wrong route.

I have expierience on this and other forums ( we run more than one) and whenever we subdivide categories to specific subjects, people miss information that they would otherwise have seen if the category was more general.

Unless you subscribe to all categories, you only see posts to the category that you are visiting, this creates a lot of key clicks and wasted time if you want to browse the whole forum.

Most people are NOT lookinging for a specific answer, more they are reading the whole forum as a matter of interest.

Thus the FAQ would be really very useful, since here specific questions can be answered. Over the many many years that i've run the forum and mailing list, i see the same questions asked and answered time and time again.

The question would Mel and others be happy to contibute to and manage an FAQ If we provided the management interface and resources??

OR

should i create a comprehensive FAQ compiled from information available in this forum and archives of our mailing list and charge a subscription for access to cover our time and expense.

Melanie
- 25th June 2004, 10:17
I think just create the category Lester, and let the forum sort out the content. Over time it'll build up, might take a couple of months or so, but I think it's the one thing missing that could be really useful - especially for new members. Subscriptions are like lead balloons... they go down really well!

Dwayne
- 1st July 2004, 23:11
Hello lester,

The question would Mel and others be happy to contibute to and manage an FAQ If we provided the management interface and resources??

I would be happy to do my best to help out... though my experience is not like many others in PICS... I think it is a good idea.

Dwayne