PDA

View Full Version : Accessing ports ( Melanie )

anj
- 6th March 2004, 02:36
As part of figuring out logarithms, i came across some code i didnt understand, and chasing it back, found it came from basic stamp usage. This allowed me to address a bit "relative" to another bit, using an integer offset index
ie

test var word
fred var test.bit0

then fred(3) is equivalent to test.bit3

hence i could directly address bits within a for--next loop

I tried experimenting with this using ports instead and it works
ie 16F876
-------------
xport var porta.0 'define base point
k VAR byte 'loop var

ADCON1 = 7
trisa = %00000000
trisb = %00000000
trisc = %00000000
portA = 0
portB = 0
portC = 0
loop:
portA = 0
pause 1000
for k = 0 to 7 'this accesses port a
xport(k) = 1 ' set pin high
pause 1000
next k

portB = 0
pause 1000
for k = 8 to 15 'this accesses port b
xport(k) = 1
pause 1000
next k

portC = 0
pause 1000
for k = 16 to 23
xport(k) = 1
pause 1000
next k

goto loop
end
-------------------------
you will note you appear to be able to access ALL ports, not just those defined by the PINS directive.
Using this allows me to access ports within a subroutine using a preset integer to define the port i want.
It compiles and seems to run OK, but has no syntax description anywhere ( except half a page in the basic stamp instructions booklet ).
Based on the fact it works, but is undocumented for Pics, is there a reason it shouldnt be used???

Andrew

Melanie
- 6th March 2004, 16:51
You must have missed PBP Manual section 4.11...

...and I also refer you to Dennis Saputelli's treatise on 07 June 2002 thread "PICBASIC-L How to address any port pin was - Tricky assembler question". Search for it here...

http://list.picbasic.com/cgi-bin/board-search.cgi

Melanie

anj
- 6th March 2004, 23:00
Gday Melanie
I have read section 4.11 forwards and backwards, many times, and it doesnt cover what i posted. ( My booklet has a print date of 8/02 )

According to sect 4.11, i can only use pins of 0-15 to address ports. For a 28 pin device these cover ports C and D
In my example, i started by addressing port A.
Also, in my case, the corresponding numbers used are not fixed to 0-15, but depend on what offset you start with. In my example i was up to 23 and still going ( starting from PortA.0 )

Also there is no discussion in the book on the syntax used ie
XPort(3) where the (3) is the relative offset ie

If i go
XPort = PortB.0 then XPort(4) equates to PortB.4

if i then redefine the start point ie
XPort = PortB.2 now XPort(2) equates to PortB.4

In both cases i access PortB.4 but use a different index.
I can find no discussion of this behaviour in the manual supplied with my PBP Pro 2.43, only in the basic stanmp manual. ( And not real clear there either )
I will still read yr referenced link, but was just enquiring into whether or not this method of addressing ports was ok with a std PIC.
Andrew

Melanie
- 7th March 2004, 09:54
There is no problem with that usage.

If you find the thread I indicated, you will find it details pretty much what you're doing.

I agree the manual is somewhat spartan on many things and isn't updated as often as it could be. Always check and download the latest revision from the MeLabs website....

www.melabs.com

anj
- 7th March 2004, 21:52
Gday Melanie
Thks for the link, lots more nice info to digest there.
One further question though.
In all discussions on that list, i noted they were addressing the accessing of pins within a single port.
With what i have done, i found you can access portC using portA as your start point, ( which makes it suitable for my subroutine usage ).
I understand arrays and referential addressing so can figure out what is happening, however what i would like to know is what implicit arrays are available and/or how are they determined.
Ie there seems to be a ports array that has ( at least ) portA for 8 then portB for 8 then port C for 8 etc.
Is it based on sequential internal memory addresses or some other internal PicBasic definitions?

Re the manual, i tried the online version first, but it appears to be older than the paper copy i got with my software?
( Based on the print date on page 1 ), or do they update individual pages as they go. I couldnt detect any page renumbering so assume no.
Andrew