PDA

View Full Version : Soldering iron off topic

Ron Marcus
- 1st November 2005, 18:49
Hey folks,
I have been using my Weller TC201 for 25 years now. I have used it for soldering from pipe fittings to 0402 chip resistors (Not with the same tip!).
Now it seem that I go through a tip a week for fine soldering. Nothing has changed in the way I solder, but I was told Weller was sold and assume that the tip quality has plummited to increase profits. With that said, what would be a good replacement manufacturer/iron with long life, that won't cost many hundreds of dollars. It will be mainly for fine SMD and wire soldering.

CocaColaKid
- 1st November 2005, 22:13
If you do a lot of soldering I would think a hot air one would be the way to go. They are quite expensive though. We have three Edsyn 921 stations here and all work flawless other than we replace the tips about once a month or so. It seems the tips literally dissolve from the inside out. I had a tip a month ago that looked fine but was having a hell of a time soldering with. I had the temperature cranked up to 800ºF and it still wasn't working properly. After using my x-acto knife to clean some crud off that the sponge didn't I noticed that the tip actually fell right off leaving a nice hole. I don't think the problem is isolated to Cooper/Weller. I can remember having a tip for about 6 months before having to replace it.

badrad
- 2nd November 2005, 18:15
i've been using a circuit-test SX500 variable temp soldering station, and using to 0.4 mm tips. i have also notice the tips build up crud very quickly, but had been using the same one for the past 5 months. the problem i seem to have with these very fine tips is they tend to jam into the metal iron holder cage, and i wind up bending the tips. although initially a pain with the bent angles, i later found it quite effective with the SSOP chips.

for a low cost hot air rework station, check out MPJA. they have a hot air rework station for around $150 USD. http://www.mpja.com/category/Solder_Equipment/SMD-THRU-HOLE_REWORK_STATION_15143_TL.asp

bartman
- 12th November 2005, 19:42
I'm looking for a new soldering iron too.

I'd appreciate some suggestions. I am easily at the beginner level in all of this. I need to solder regular drilled boards and small amounts of surface mount components. It wouldn't get a lot of use, but what I have now is barely acceptable for just regular work and would be useless for SMD.

I'm on a budget for it and, if possible, I'd like to buy it from Digi-Key since I have a couple other things to order from there too. Not looking for professional level, but need something.

Thanks.

Bart

mister_e
- 13th November 2005, 10:28
heeha TC201 i still have one.. blast from the past. About the same price to chance only the iron or the whole thing when the Iron element comes defect. Anyways, Here's what i use and recommend

Weller WES50 with PES50 pencil iron. provide a great tip model range, cheaper to replace when the element burn than the TC one. Fair to good temperature stability and variable.
Metcal rework station Mx-500TS. Provide a fair to good tip model. Cheaper than any Weller model. Temperature stability good but fix and/or tip dependant. The only 'problem' ==> tip cost... a bit expensive but include the element.
Hakko 936. I use that one on the road. Never heard about them before i tried it. As now, seems to be a great price/quality unit. Tip choice is still decent but a bit limited.. do the job for me on the road for True-Hole and SMD parts. Cheaper than Weller, durability... i can't tell as now.

IMHO, sorry for those who have and love them, the worst ones are EDSYN. Bad comments from me on those iron (wich i'll keep for me). Cheap housing, controls, element, tips,.. ,... ,... But the price is interesting. Maybe good enough for some hobby jobs.

PACE do some great stuff too. I'd use them a lot before i start my own business. Not cheap but great.

@Bartman
Hakko is available from HVWTECH Calgary
HTH

bartman
- 13th November 2005, 21:19
Hmmm, more money than I had in mind for my 200 solder joints a year! Thanks.

Bart

mister_e
- 13th November 2005, 21:25
Well there's still some cheapest solution as the single iron solution... without the base. Canadian Tire, Radio-Shack and other local suppliers could have some interesting stuff.

BGAstoreUSA
- 24th May 2013, 01:05
I'm looking for a new soldering iron too.

I'd appreciate some suggestions. I am easily at the beginner level in all of this. I need to solder regular drilled boards and small amounts of surface mount components. It wouldn't get a lot of use, but what I have now is barely acceptable for just regular work and would be useless for SMD.

I'm on a budget for it and, if possible, I'd like to buy it from Digi-Key since I have a couple other things to order from there too. Not looking for professional level, but need something.

Thanks.

Bart

I am not sure what is your budget on possible new soldering iron. I would recommend Jovy isolder 40. It is very acceptable for regular and professional SMD solder station.

Heckler
- 24th May 2013, 15:31
I am very happy with this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-FX-888D/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369402161&sr=8-2&keywords=hakko+solder

if the link dosen't work its the "Hakko FX888D" off Amazon

rsocor01
- 27th May 2013, 17:54
I got this one from Amazon.com and it's been two years without any problems.

http://www.amazon.com/REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-handles/dp/B004ZB9D4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369669882&sr=8-2&keywords=rework+station

Robert