PDA

View Full Version : schematic drawing

saturnX
- 6th October 2005, 18:12
hi guys, i was wondering what software you guys use to draw schematics on the pc?

mister_e
- 6th October 2005, 18:28
I use P-Cad since many years now. Orcad is another great one i'd use before too... but i still stick on P-Cad.

I heard some great comment on something called Eagle too. but i never tried it.

mat janssen
- 6th October 2005, 18:32
I alway draw in paint.
I made a "library" of different components. And with copy and paste you can d a lot.
I want to add an attachment as an example but i could not find the browse button.

CocaColaKid
- 6th October 2005, 18:52
We use OrCad here but it's a tad on the expensive side.

dmairspotter
- 7th October 2005, 01:30
Express PCB has a schematic program you can download for free. It seems to be pretty good, but I'm no expert. Has a large library of parts. Way better than Paint.

Can be linked to their PCB software, but then you have to use them for your PCB's

saturnX
- 7th October 2005, 04:54
thanks guys. i will look those up later tonight. but feedback of others is still welcome.

Edit: Thought i'd include the url for <a href="http://www.expresspcb.com/">Express PCB</a> mentioned by dmairspotter.

Mike_Lynch
- 7th October 2005, 05:17
I use Eagle from Cadsoft depending on what part of the world you are you can download from http://www.cadsoft.de/ or http://www.cadsoftusa.com/ Available for Windows and various flavors of *NIX. Comes in other languages if english is not your favorate. If you use windows the program will take some getting used to as it does NOT adhear to some of the "Windows Conventions" i.e. insted of copy you have to select, cut to clipboard, paste from clipboard. The program comes with a good selection of library parts but the creation of custom parts can be confusing. Free non comercial use for one or two sided boards up to 3 inch by 4 inch.

saturnX
- 7th October 2005, 05:26
thanks Mike_Lynch will check it out too

Acetronics2
- 7th October 2005, 08:17
Hi, all

I have been working for 15 years with the ULTIMATE suite ... And I really appreciate it.
The personnal unlimited version 5.72 cost was ~ 100$ ... for a quasi bug free product.
Now new releases ( updated, no more personnal editions ) are sold ~ 2500$ ... for only an added 3D view of your card.

but, looking carefully there are unprotected 500 pins versions 5.5 that can be found !!! ...
This suite has an enormous open library of components , and PCB design is rather pleasant .
Here are examples of a PIC demo board ... ( royalty free !!! )

Alain

mat janssen
- 7th October 2005, 08:27
Here an example drawn in paint using a home made library.

saturnX
- 7th October 2005, 18:44
@mat: wow! you actually drew all that in paint?

@alain: wow 3d view of the board. if only it didn't cost a bit to have some thing that nice.

mat janssen
- 7th October 2005, 19:16
Yes I draw that in paint and I wrote the programs for them. (in picbasic pro).
It's a small library.

Luciano
- 8th October 2005, 11:08
Hi,

Try SPlan from ABACOM. Learning curve is extremely short!
With this program you can draw and print your schematics.

They have also the program Sprint-Layout to create layouts
for single-sided and double-sided PCBs.

Other users can take a look at your schematics and layouts
and print them, with the free viewer-software.

Be aware that these are two separate tools. The output
of SPlan cannot be used as the input for Sprint-Layout.

These tools are well suited for hobby users.

Best regards,

Luciano

sPlan 6.0

The schematic editor for Windows

With sPlan you will design your schematic circuit diagrams clean
and easy on your PC. Many powerful functions like the the extensive
component library, the usage of free definable background form sheets,
automatic component numbering, component searching, component lists,
etc. will help you. Even beginners will create perfectly designed
schematic diagrams within minutes.

sPlan 6.0 (New version 6.0, release date 08-22-2005)
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/splan.html

Demo version download:
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/demoversionen.html

Sprint-Layout 4.0

Design your own Printed Circuit Boards

Sprint-Layout is a simple but powerful tool to create layouts for
single-sided and double-sided PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards).
The software comes along with all functions that are necessary for
board design. Even professional features, like export of Gerber-files
(for professional manufacturing) or HPGL (for isolation-milling with CNC machines)
are included, while the handling of Sprint-Layout was kept self-explaining.

Sprint-Layout 4.0
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

Demo version download:
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/demoversionen.html

mister_e
- 8th October 2005, 11:10
@ Mat
Seems pretty good. Great work. I'm really amaze it's all done with paint. But one thing i don't understand in the proces...

I wrote the programs for them. (in picbasic pro).
It's a small library.

Luciano
- 8th October 2005, 11:28
Hi Steve,

PicBasic Pro is not so powerful!

Step 1. Draw the schematic.
Step 2. Build the hardware.
Step 3. Write the software for the hardware.

Mat Janssen has written the software for the hardware depicted
in the attached schematic files with PicBasic Pro.

Luciano

saturnX
- 8th October 2005, 11:53
totally agree with you Luciano, steve is lost in the clouds. lols!

mister_e
- 8th October 2005, 12:15
Hehe yeah i know Luciano... i was expecting a silly mistake somewhere.

YES sometimes, see often, i'm lost somewhere between earth and Planet LotypoJuarta where many of my Gyurositafm friends live.

Except few pink elephant around me now, i've no other mental problem :)

LOL!

mat janssen
- 8th October 2005, 13:03
@Mister_e. You forgot to quote the whole sentence. You took a part out of in and than you made the comment. Yust for fun?!
For you I will repeat it again so that you can understand it better.
I draw all my schema's in paint. I use a small librabry with componets.(transistor pnp and pnp, resistor, capacitor, elco, diode, opamp.)
Then with copy and paste you put the components on there places. Then draw the lines between the parts. Look if you made some mistakes. If so change them.
When eveything was ready. I build the circuits.

Then I start to write the software for the processors ant tested it for the working. This part I did with picbasic pro version 2.46 with the latest patch.
All the reciever functions are in the 16F628. By putting the F adres in the right position the software is for diferent AD converters, or 8 pwm outputs or 8 servo outputs or 8 digital outputs.
The data is sent via rs485 drivers, and has a baudrate of 250000 bits/sec.
It sents 64 packets of data. Each reciever looks if the data is meant for him, by looking at his start adres. If so, he puts the data, meant for him, at the outputs of the reciever.

I hope you understand this. If not, please tell us and I will try to tell it in another way.
Regards, Mat

NavMicroSystems
- 8th October 2005, 13:22
I'm using Cadsoft EAGLE and I can really recommend it.

The Schematic editor does an ERC (Electrical Rule Check) for you.
(Means you are notified if you have connected two outputs to each other, left pins floating, etc.)

There is an Autoruter included in the Package that creates the PCB from the schematic.
The PCB is cross-checked with the schematic to make sure they match.
Last but not least the Schematic Editor does a DRC (Design Rule Check) to make sure your PCB is within the specs of your PCB Manufacturer.
(Trace width, Spaces, Drill Sizes etc.)

Attached is an example of a Board designed with EAGLE
(Can't post the schematic)

CLICK HERE (http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=134&d=1101334446)

Acetronics2
- 8th October 2005, 13:42
Hi, Ralf

My suite theoretically do not allow other things than paper prints ...

But try this : http://www.visagesoft.com/products/pdfreader/

gives superb pdf files ...as it's seen like a printer by the soft !!!

Alain

NavMicroSystems
- 8th October 2005, 14:21
Hi Alain,

I'm not sure of what you are trying to tell me,
is it that you can''t open the attached image,
or is it that you would like to see the schematic in PDF format?

There is no technical Problem with exporting the schematic,
it simply is a copyright issue.
(I should have said "not allowed to" rather than "can't" post the schematic)

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Acetronics2
- 8th October 2005, 14:59
Hi, Ralf

I understood you were not able to "E. print" the scheme ... and didn't think at all you were not allowed to publish it ...

this soft permits to send directly pdf files ( small sizes ...fits in attached documents size for the forum !!! ) instead of print, scan and send ...heavy files.

have a nice week-end

Alain

jmgelba
- 11th October 2005, 01:08
Mister_e nice to see another P-CAD user. I've been using it since 1998.
I'm freelance, so if you need something done fast, I can do it!!!

mister_e
- 11th October 2005, 09:29
P-Cad is certainely not the easiest to learn (if you want to use/learn every function/features) but you can do absolutely everything. A bit expensive yes but that really worth the price.
Maybe not the best one for hobbyist or to do a relly few design a year.

saturnX
- 11th October 2005, 16:32
wow this thread really grew suddenly since i last came in to check here. thank you all for your contributions and i have been reading up on the softwares mentioned. still considering my options before i purchase any of them. hope this thread helps others as well. i'm sure there are more programs out there that is not mentioned here. post them here :)

jmgelba
- 11th October 2005, 18:59
P-Cad is certainely not the easiest to learn (if you want to use/learn every function/features) but you can do absolutely everything. A bit expensive yes but that really worth the price.
Maybe not the best one for hobbyist or to do a relly few design a year.

Yes, what I hated most about P-CAD was the very poor libraries that came with it. Fortunatley that was made a little better with the launch of P-CAD2004. You could not draw a nice schematic with the symbols that came with it and the grid centre was a weird size. I built hundreds of custom components to make life easier.

Luciano
- 18th October 2005, 18:02
Source:
http://www.elektor-electronics.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=27&year=2005&month=11&art=52923&PN=On

Magazine - Elektor Electronics November 2005

Kaleidoscope
Software for schematic capture and PCB design

Programs for schematic capture, board designs (PCBs) and simulation are now indispensable tools for anyone serious about electronics design. This issue of Elektor Electronics comes with a free DVD packed with demo, evaluation, trial and complete versions of all popular E-CAD programs. The DVD, we hope, allows you see what program is best suited to your requirements and applications. This article provides brief discussions of all programs on the DVD.

Abacom: Splan 6.0 – SprintLayout 4.0
AMS: Circuit Creator
Baas: Layo PCB 10.0
Bartels AutoEngineer: BAE 4.3.0.347
Cadence Design Systems: OrCAD V 10.0
CADInt PCB: CADInt PCB 2.11.15.0
CADSoft: Eagle 4.15
Capilano: DesignWorks 4.3.1
Edainnovation: EPD 7.2.31
Electronics Workbench: Design Suite 8.1
Free PCB: Free PCB 1.2
Friedrich (Bureau): Target 3001! V11 & V12
Holophase: CirCAD ‘98
KiCAD : KiCAD
Labcenter Electronics/Multipower: Proteus 6.8
McCAD McCAD Schematics – MAC PCB-ST
Merco electronics: PCB Elegance 3.0
Merlin: MerliPCB
Micrelec: WinSchém 6.1 – WinTYPON
Niche Software: PCB Designer 1.3.3
Number One Systems: Easy PC 9.0
Pad2Pad: Pad2Pad 1.6.0
PCB123: PCB123 V2.1
PCB Editor: PCB Developer's Assistant V3.0
Seetrax: RangerXL – Ranger2XL
Tsien: Boardmaker 3
Visionics: EdWinXP 14.0
Vutrax: Vutrax 12.5
Zuken: CADStarexpress 7.0

Hyperlinks
Abacom
www.abacom-online.de
AMS
www.advancedmsinc.com
Asic Atoms
www.asicatoms.com
Baas
www.baas.nl
Bartels AutoEngineer
www.bme.ie/bae/bae
CADint PCB
www.cadint.se
CADSoft
www.cadsoft.de
CirCAD
www.holophase.com
DesignWorks
www.capilano.com
Edainnovation
www.edainnovation.com
Electronic Workbench Europe
www.electronicsworkbench.com
Friedrich (Bureau)
www.ibfriedrich.com
Free PCB
www.freepcb.com
KiCAD
iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/kicad
Labcenter Electronics
www.labcenter.co.uk
(pour la France) Multipower
www.multipower.fr
Layo1PCB www.baas.nl
McCAD
www.mccad.com
Mentor Graphics
www.mentor.com/products/pcb/pads
Merco electronics
www.merco.nl
Merlin PCB
www.geocities.com/MerliPCB
Micrelec
www.micrelec.fr/lyctech/tele.htm
Niche Software
www.niche.co.uk
Number One Systems
www.numberone.com
OrCAD (Cadence)
www.orcad.com/downloads.aspx
Pad2Pad
www.pad2pad.com
PCB123
www.pcb123.com
PCB Editor
www.waldherr.com
Seetrax
www.seetrax.co.uk
Target 3001 !
ibfriedrich.com
Tsien
www.tsien.info
Visionix
www.visionics.a.se
Vutrax
www.vutrax.co.uk
Zuken
www.zuken.com

Other interesting links for companies that do not appear on the DVD.
Altium
www.altium.com/pcad
Ariadne
www.cad-ul.de/htm/ariadne-start.htm
Circuit Maker
www.circuitmaker.com
Pulsonix
www.pulsonix.com/index.asp
The PCB Designer
www.cad-design.com

saturnX
- 21st October 2005, 05:33
wow... its been a while since i checked back here... thanks luciano for all the urls. hope that this thread reli help others out there. certainly helped me ;)

memo333
- 12th January 2006, 16:26
my programme is target 3001! v11 (not v12 ı dont advise) i think it's the best free pcb program. it has a large library,autorouter,autoplacer,3d view,free updates etc, etc.

ı advise this German miracle, because Toyota F1 uses it

forgie
- 13th January 2006, 21:45
I'm going to learn me some Eagle.... one of the few available for OSX as far as I'm aware... or one of the few that anyone will actually recommend, anyway.

Chris Mayhew
- 14th January 2006, 23:39
Here is one from New Zealand -

Hutson Systems
http://www.hutson.co.nz/

I downloaded it yesterday and had a bit of a look. There are some things missing but considering the price and that this is only version 1.0x it looks like pretty good value for money. I always try the demo with out looking at the help file as I find this a good indication of ease of use. I just can't relate to Eagle but maybe thats because I'm so use to Protel ?

Here are a couple more I don't think have been listed...

TinyCAD for Windows
http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/Links.html

Autotrax (no relation to the old Protel DOS version)
http://www.autotraxeda.com/

Roger Lascelles VCad Page (this is a Veroboard layout program that uses Netlists)
http://www.geocities.com/rogerlasau/VCad.html

There are some OS offerings as well, though not all work on Windows.

Demon
- 15th January 2006, 20:37
I use QCAD.

moby
- 20th January 2006, 21:16
Try Proteus Isis Lite:

http://www.proteuslite.com/

forgie
- 21st January 2006, 08:16
Man, there's so many choices out there. I have tried AutotraxEDA (which will soon be available on OSX apparently) on windows, and it sucked. Certain things caused it to crash completely without responding, and sometimes it would take a minute or two to startup, even though it apparently wasn't actually doing anything. AFAIK it's being developed by only one guy... he has a lot of faith in it, but it seems pretty terrible to me.

Eagle seems pretty wierd to me too - the only reason I wanted to learn it was because it runs on OSX.

peu
- 21st January 2006, 23:12
I wonder if a commercial version of the express PCB suite is available, its super extra simple to learn, but its main drawback is that you cannot print the circuit, you only can send the circuit to them

Pablo

forgie
- 22nd January 2006, 18:36
Has anyone used Easy PC? The demo is seriously impressive. It costs around $450 USD, but if its as good as it looks, it may be worth it....

Looks like my PC will hang around for a few years to come....

Melanie
- 22nd January 2006, 20:12
EasyPC has been the Schematic/CAD Layout software of choice in this company for some twenty years... long before I ever came here... I can vouch for it.

It's nice to be able to enter a schematic, translate it to PCB and have the software maintain integrity and spacing throughout, then output to Gerber or Excellon, email them to almost any PCB fab house in the world, and have them make what you've created. Never fails. If you have the SPICE add-on's you can even simulate your design, or display it in 3D.

mister_e
- 22nd January 2006, 20:36
It costs around $450 USD, but if its as good as it looks, it may be worth it....

Looks like my PC will hang around for a few years to come....

it's a bit much than this, when you set it to USD instead of the default GBP
http://www.numberone.com/prices.asp?currency=USD&product=*

BUT it looks good. The full package is still cheaper than ORCAD, PCAD or PROTEL(now Altium Designer)

forgie
- 29th January 2006, 07:36
I'm in the process of starting a partnership company as well as a personal consulting business - I need to choose an electronics CAD package to learn, invest in it, and stick with it. I think EasyPC looks like by far the cheapest 'Pro' package. For what I need, this would appear to be an easy choice!

nomada
- 8th February 2006, 02:16
Hello all,

At my job we have been using EasyPc from Number One Systems in the last four years. It's a quite cheap electronics cad software, it has a small learning curve, we customise all the components (libraries) for our needs (we like good looking layouts). It works pretty well even under Win98SE.

Every PCB manufacturer undertstands the EasyPC file outputs.

Of course there are "better" software but if price matters...

Bye to you all

forgie
- 9th February 2006, 07:45
Yep, well that suits my needs just fine. Standard analog and uController stuff is about as advanced as I need - I'm not designing mobile phones here! I should hopefully have a copy of EasyPC in my hands in the next few weeks....

Luciano
- 9th February 2006, 09:47
I'm in the process of starting a partnership company as well as a personal consulting business - I need to choose an electronics CAD package to learn, invest in it, and stick with it. I think EasyPC looks like by far the cheapest 'Pro' package. For what I need, this would appear to be an easy choice!

What about FPGA design?

http://www.altium.com/Products/AltiumDesigner/

Luciano

forgie
- 10th February 2006, 09:27
FPGA isn't something that I'm going to need in the next few years, anyway. Maybe a few years down the track I'll want/need those capabilities, and then I'll consider buying into the Altium empire.... until then I'll go with the more independent option thanks!

Madscientist
- 16th July 2006, 23:45
Personally, I like Livewire by new wave concepts. It can be found at www.new-wave-concepts.com The company is in the U.K.

I recently added PCB wizard 3 from the same company. They work together. They are both fairly cheap. PCB wizard 3 automatically prints out your printed circuit board based on your schematic. I have made several projects with the two programs. Check em out. I think that company has demo versions for free.

Darren