PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if I can move PBP3 and MPLAB over to newer system - which is Linux

dw_picbasic
- 14th December 2020, 20:13
Hello,
I've had PBP3 with MPLAB running in an older 32-bit laptop that I set aside for pic programming.
But that laptop is starting to get a little raged

I have a newer 64-bit laptop running Linux.
I'm wondering if anyone is successfully running PBP3 and MPLAB in wine on Linux?

Thanks,
dw

mpgmike
- 15th December 2020, 05:59
Short answer is yes. For awhile I was using my Mac for programming with Virtual Machine. My wife uses Wine, but I never tried PBP on it. I have no idea if it will work with Linux.

My experience was that is was extremely slow. My Mac is about 7-8 years old, but with the memory maxed out (replaced chips). Not only was I running PBP, but also Virtual Studio and some other memory hogs. I finally broke down & bought a used Dell for development work. PBP isn't the only software I use that only works with Windows.

dw_picbasic
- 16th December 2020, 04:46
Well - I could definitely try and install it on Wine.
No harm trying :-]

Thanks

mpgmike
- 17th December 2020, 06:47
Be sure to install MPLABX version 5.35 also, as PBP uses it for several tasks (DO NOT install the newest version, which is currently v5.45!). Unfortunately, even though MPLABX is available for the Mac, PBP inside Wine probably won't be able to access it on the other side.

dw_picbasic
- 19th December 2020, 15:40
Thank you!
I'll take a look at that.