PDA

View Full Version : Help with PIC 12F683 bit confituration in PBP3

dw_picbasic
- 14th December 2020, 18:16
Hello all,

I would like to setup a 12F683 with 3 pins as inputs, and 3 pins as outputs.
This means I will need to change the default bit configuration for the GPIO3 pin - which by default is MCLR

If I understand correctly - in PBP3 I will need locate the following at the beginning of the code:

#CONFIG
__config _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _WDT_ON & _MCLRE_OFF & _CP_OFF
#ENDCONFIG

Is this correct?

Or is it a better practice to do this with the interface tools - such as Pickit2 or the MPLAB software?

Thanks!
dw

mpgmike
- 14th December 2020, 19:18
Either method works, however, placing your CONFIGs in your code lets you debug issues better. If something doesn't work, and the problem lies with your CONFIG settings you set up a program time (with the pop-up window), how would you know??

dw_picbasic
- 14th December 2020, 20:09
Thanks - good wisdom!

However, I'm not familiar with setting up a program time (with the pop-up window)

mpgmike
- 15th December 2020, 06:05
When you go to program, the Programmer window pops up. Under View/Configuration you can view your CONFIG options similarly to MPLABX. There are quite a few neat features in the header tabs. You ought to play with it and get to know your tool. Charles walked me through it several years ago.

dw_picbasic
- 16th December 2020, 04:42
Thanks!
I'm familiar with the MPLAB config editor.
I guess because that was there I never thought much to look the the Pickit2 options.
But perhaps you're referring to the ME programmer.
I haven't used that since I had to let go of my PC with a serial port.
I thought I would try out the Pickit2 and that seemed to be working fine.
But just last week it died on me.
So I may end up getting one of the newer ME Labs units
Thanks!

mpgmike
- 17th December 2020, 06:54
I have an old Pickit2 I haven't used in years. I also have a Pickit3 that I haven't used in about a year. I usually use either the Pickit4 or ICD4, depending on the board. I have the ME Labs U2 Programmer that I use often when breadboarding. Lastly, I have the inexpensive Snap, which I bought only to verify it worked on circuits I sent to my partner (who also has one). If cheap is a priority, you might look into the Snap:

It programs anything Microchip sells, but
- It cannot power the project
- It requires LVP for programming

dw_picbasic
- 19th December 2020, 07:28
I was successful at doing this.
Thanks everyone for your kind help! :-]