PDA

View Full Version : PIC16F1503 Fixed Voltage Reference

Aussie Barry
- 23rd February 2018, 04:31
Hi All,

I am working with a PIC16F1503 and would like to use the Fixed Voltage Reference (FVR) as the reference for the ADC.
I have successfully done this in the past using a PIC16F1829 but the same register settings do not apply for the PIC16F1503.

In the case of the '1829:
From the datasheet, setting ADPREF<1:0> to "11" means "Vref+ is connected to internal Fixed Voltage Reference (FVR) module

In the case of the '1503:
From the datasheet, the only two setting options for ADPREF<1:0> are "00" (Vrpos is connected to Vdd) and "10" (Vrpos is connected to external Vref+ pin)
All other options are "Reserved" and there is not FVR option listed.

Can anyone enlighten me on how to use the Fixed Voltage Reference (FVR) as the reference for the ADC on a PIC16F1503?

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP

richard
- 23rd February 2018, 05:58
a quick look at the data sheet leaves you with only two option for positive reference
vdd or external vref

Aussie Barry
- 23rd February 2018, 07:23
Hi Richard,

Yes, I see that now but contradictory to this diagram, the datasheet also states that the output of the FVR can be configured to supply a reference voltage to the ADC input channel:

and this is supported in the FRVCON register (bits 1-0) regarding the relevant ADC FVR buffer gain:

Which one is to be believed?

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP

richard
- 23rd February 2018, 07:33
it could be worded better. the hight-lighted word "reference" could be removed to better reflect reality

The Fixed Voltage Reference (FVR) is a stable voltage
reference, independent of VDD, with a nominal output
level (VFVR) of 1.024V. The output of the FVR can be
configured to supply a reference voltage to the
following:
• ADC input channel
• Comparator positive input
• Comparator negative input
The FVR can be enabled by setting the FVREN bit of
the FVRCON register

Aussie Barry
- 23rd February 2018, 07:44
the exact same wording is used in the PIC16F1829 datasheet yet that device DOES have the option to set the ADC Vref+ to the internal FVR module (ADPREF<1:0> = 11) :mad:

Some consistency would be a good thing....

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP

towlerg
- 23rd February 2018, 11:37
Come on guy, Microchip can't even decide what to call basic registers. Hay hoo.

mpgmike
- 23rd February 2018, 19:07
I ran into this exact issue with this exact PIC! I swapped over to a PIC16F18323. I wanted to monitor battery voltage. If input voltage were to start dropping with ADC referencing Vdd, I may never see a dying battery until it was too late. Referencing ADC to 2.048 volts with a voltage divider on the input made it more precise. I think that's similar to what you are trying to do.

Aussie Barry
- 23rd February 2018, 20:46
That is EXACTLY what I am trying to do!
I have looked at PIC16F1703, PIC16F1823 and the one you recommended, PIC16F18323 - all are pin compatible and have the ability to set the FVR as the reference voltage for the ADC.

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP

richard
- 23rd February 2018, 21:24
if all you need to do is calculate vdd then
connect adc to fvr and measure fvr count

vdd = 1024*fvr_const/fvr_count

fvr_const would be very close to 1.000 and could be determined using a calibrated power supply if required

Aussie Barry
- 25th February 2018, 03:06
Thanks Richard.

The PIC is being fed via a liner regulator so I am not that interested in reading Vdd.
I want to read the battery voltage feeding this 5V linear reg. The battery also feeds a 6V buck regulator.
I have the ADC pin fed via a voltage divider.
All works well until the battery voltage drops sufficiently cause Vdd to droop, thus throwing off my ADC readings and battery status indicator LEDs.

Given there are numerous pin compatible devices which allow the FVR module to be used as a reference voltage for the ADC, I believe my easiest path forward is to change devices.
These are not expensive devices (~AUD$1.50 for single unit purchase) so making the change has no real drawbacks.

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP

richard
- 25th February 2018, 03:15
yes that method is only good for reading vdd , in the past I have used the dac module along with the comparator module for that purpose [16f648a from memory], even built a mppt solar regulator too. the dac can set high low trigger points for the comparator. resolution of about 0.1 volts is about the best you can achieve that way