PDA

View Full Version : USB on Macintosh (mouse)

ronf
- 7th September 2005, 14:27
Hi, I would like to know if anyone is doing cross platform USB periferals and what problems are encountered.
Specifically my problem is a mouse like device and this works great on all levels with a windows machine ... tested on win2k, nt, xp prof and home. When put on an iMac OS 9.5 it just sits there. Enumeration seems to complete but I have no cursor control. Would the problem be the older Mac OS?
I'm doing the work on PBP and I am missing something that Windows doesn't
care about but Mac needs to see.
Has anyone run into this problem before?
Thanks

mushon
- 15th October 2005, 23:45
Hi Ronf,

We are Dan and Mushon, two student in NYU's Interactive Telecommunication Program. We are currently working on a (studential, non-profit) project involving a PICbasic programmed microcontroller that's supposed to replace the mouse. We are trying to get the PIC to recieve data from a serial port and convert it to information inputed to the computer as a USB mouse.
We saw you're post in the picbasic.co.uk forum from last month, quote:

"...Specifically my problem is a mouse like device and this works great on all levels with a windows machine ... tested on win2k, nt, xp prof and home..."

If you made it work on a WinXP platform, your experience can come very handy to us. Is there a chance you can send us the files you've been working with and some sketches and documentation if you have any, it will really help us develope on our project and we'll be really grateful.

Hope this finds you well,

thanks,

Dan & Mushon

ronf
- 19th October 2005, 15:29
Hi, Things have progressed since I posted this question on the MacUSB.
No hints or answers from anyone - no Apple people on here?
- I can do cursor cartwheels on an iMac as well now.
For general knowledge out there - The Mac requires the set_protocol device
reply in order to enumerate - took a while but I found the answer through
an analysis of the Apple USB prober. Microchip does not include this in the normal protocols as a complete sample and has to be added. Windows machines do not require this to enumerate. There is not a lot of support for low speed devices as most people want to use the full speed advantages. Cost is a big factor in the decision though as full speed chips are still more money.
For Dan and Mushon I am still working on the code with PBP and I don't know if this will help. The sample programs with PBP give a good start to any project with USB as long as you are careful with the USB asm support files.
After you have the basics working use the USB-IF compliance testing software to ensure that you are on the right track in the beginning before you have a lot of code to sort through.
There is an inexpensive program available called USB Monitor - do a google search - from the same makers of Serial Monitor. This is kind of a must for development as analysis of packet data speeds the process.
For initial development I started with the PBP sample code and expanded on the buffer data inputs.
How far along are you with the project as I don't know what is appropriate to help?
Are you using the PicBasic Pro compiler?
Regards,