PDA

View Full Version : Handy Little Hexterminal

picnaut
- 28th January 2004, 21:44
Hi Gang,

I've been working on a hex terminal that is tailor made for exporting data to Excel.

Basically, you have a choice of ASCII text or Hex values as your PC to PIC output (commands, etc.)
You can pretty much send unlimited (within reason) ASCII text but are limited to 16 bytes at a time of Hex bytes.

There are 2 fields for organizing the received data: number of columns and your delimiting character.

For instance, if I knew I was going to be receiving 8 different data bytes at each transmission from a PIC, I would choose 8 columns and use the comma as a delimiter. Each row ends with a carriage return and line feed.

When I was finished receiving all of my data, I could copy those values into a text file and then import them to Excel as (you guessed it) a comma delimited text file.

It seems to work OK but if you notice any bugs please let me know. I warn you though, it's NOT fast so try not to send or receive too much data at once. If you notice it bogging down, you may want to insert a small delay between each set (or row) of data that is sent from your PIC application to your PC.

When I have more time (in the distant future) I will make a high speed version of this terminal.

Enjoy!