PDA

View Full Version : Mailing List Digest - Poll

lester
- 5th July 2003, 08:29
David Cullen has requested that we run a mailing list digest as well as the mailing list.

If we run a digest, would users like daily or weekly digests, or would you prefer digest by size in Kbytes?

Please VOTE using the poll.

Melanie
- 5th July 2003, 13:32
Whatever you've missed can already be extracted from various archives.

Melanie

dcullen7
- 5th July 2003, 13:40
It's not about missing anything. Currently I'm receiving about 20 e-mails from "[email protected]". I had to add an e-mail rule that puts them in a separate folder. However, the other lists I'm subscribed to use digests and I find them very handy. I get one e-mail every 12 hours and I can read posts and responses quickly using my preferred e-mail interface. I'm not forced to use a web e-mail interface. It's really a matter of convenience.

cupajoe
- 5th July 2003, 14:55
I can't see the benefits. How would a list digest benefit me? I don't think I need redundant email.

Regards,

Joe Kupcha.

Melanie
- 5th July 2003, 18:15
Surely a Digest will incorporate a whole heap of inclusions that are of no interest, and perhaps only one or two snippets that are of interest. With individual emails we have the easy option of trashing what's not wanted.

As long as there's an 'opt-out' and it's not forced on you, go ahead and have fun.

Melanie

lester
- 5th July 2003, 18:26
If we do set up a digest of the list, it will be an option, it's not forced upon users of the existing mailing list

If you want the digest ( if we set one up) you'll have to subscribe to the digest like you subscribe to the mailing list. Then unsubscribe from the mailing list and you'll get all the email of the day, week, or as soon as the digect file is xxKbytes in size, delivered to you in one go.

Personally i cannot see the benifit, but if there's a demand i'll set it up.

So Dave, get out there press some flesh and petition the list users to vote :-)

Darrel Taylor
- 6th July 2003, 20:07
Maybe majordomo is different, but with ListServ it's just a matter of changing 1 or 2 settings to activate the Digest function. Everything else is automatic.

You could just "Turn it ON", tell everyone it's there, and see if anyone subscribes.

Since not many people use the digest, it probably won't put much of a load on the email server. And those that do use the Digest functions will appreciate it.

Darrel Taylor

lester
- 7th July 2003, 08:51
Hi Darrel, thanks for your response.

It is true, in majordomo, we could "just turn it on"

However, if there is no demand, whats the point.

If we do just turn it on, should the digest be daily, weekly or by size?

With no good reson, we will not simply impliment any and all requests for more services.

The forum was created because of demand, the digest will be implimented if there is demand.

All resource costs, no matter how small the cost.

Lester