PDA

View Full Version : PBP3 licence

muddy0409
- 13th October 2014, 05:10
According to what I can find on the subject, the licence for silver allows 3 computers. It also says something about uninstalling and re-locating to the other computers. Are they serious?
So If I sit in front of the TV, in my loungeroom doing some programming on my laptop and then want to take the code out to my workshop to program the PIC on my PC, then I gotta uninstall and install to do this?
Boy, that sucks!

HenrikOlsson
- 13th October 2014, 07:21
No, that's not the case at all.
You install it on up to three computers and use it on any and/or all of them.
When it comes to replacing one of the computers, or for some other reason installing PBP3 on yet another computer, you deactivate the license on the computer to be replaced before you can activate it for the new one.

/Henrik.

richard
- 13th October 2014, 08:06
Henrik
is there any way to see how many nodes you have used and identify them, I'm thinking has my dead pc swallowed one of my licences instances ?

HenrikOlsson
- 13th October 2014, 08:27
Hi Richard,
No, that I know about.
I guess, if you've had PBP installed on the now dead machine and it's been there for more than 30 days it did use one of the licenses. If the machine is unrecoverable I'd simply shoot MeLabs an email and ask them to release the license.

/Henrik.

richard
- 13th October 2014, 08:57
thanks henrik
I was afraid of that , some sort of licence manager would be a nice touch.

looks like I don't need to worry today , pbp 3 installed and activated :-) on the new 8.1 machine the only glitch coming from mplab8.9 so far so good.

muddy0409
- 13th October 2014, 09:09
Since I last posted I tried installing on my workshop PC. (XP Pro)
Installed OK, but when started it asked for the activation stuff, (the same as happened on the laptop) when entered it came up with incorrect serial number error. I used the same key as supplied and succeeded on the first install, went through the same procedure but no go.
Is all this BS made just to confuse and piss off old farts? Well, it does!!

My next try will be to uninstall from the PC and go through it all again. If it still won't go, I will switch over to Great Cow and farewell PBP.

BTW how does it know how many computers it is installed on? Does it have anything to do with the online / offline activation. IE does the activation procedure give anything to, or get anything from, MEL while activating?

It's Ouzo 'n' Coke o'clock....

Acetronics2
- 13th October 2014, 10:22
Hi, Muddy

I remember when changing my PC, I just had to UNregister my licence, get it again @ my melabs account and re-register for the new PC ...

see those pages :
https://store.melabs.com/ORDH.html
and
http://mereg.net/PBP-Activate.html

and the joined attachment ...
Alain

muddy0409
- 13th October 2014, 10:40
What? I gotta go through that every time I get up from the lounge laptop to go out to the workshop PC, and then again when I come back?

muddy0409
- 13th October 2014, 11:07
Did an uninstall and reinstall.
all now fine.
musta been a hiccup somewhere.

thanks all.

undoubtedly more questions to come...be patient.

HenrikOlsson
- 13th October 2014, 11:38
Hi,

What? I gotta go through that every time I get up from the lounge laptop to go out to the workshop PC, and then again when I come back?

For the second time: NO. (Please at least read the responses you get before continuing....)
You go thru it ONCE for each computer (up to three) you install PBP3 on. Have one in the lounge, one it the workshop and one in the bathroom if you want.
If you install it on a fourth computer you can't activate it prior to de-activating it on one of the other three.

BTW how does it know how many computers it is installed on? Does it have anything to do with the online / offline activation.
Yes exactly. MeLabs keeps track of how many times each license have been activated and on which machines - which is the reason for not being able to use the same actiavation code "all the time".

Is all this BS made just to confuse and piss off old farts? Well, it does!!
No, it's to prevent the same license to be installed on tens, hundreds or thousands of computers in an effort to help MeLabs stay in business. Yes, it's an extra step and sometimes it CAN be a bit of a hazzle (firewall issues) etc but having bought PBP3 for my own use at home and for my employer I've found the activation process to be pretty straight forward and being allowed to install it on three machines is really quite reasonable and a lot better than many other companies and software costing many many times that of PBP3.

undoubtedly more questions to come...be patient
No problem, if you try to being a little patient too ;-)

/Henrik.

Acetronics2
- 13th October 2014, 16:25
Hi, Muddy

musta been a hiccup somewhere.

Probably one more drawback from your fabulous beverage ...
:D:D:D

Regards
Alain

muddy0409
- 14th October 2014, 04:47
Hic!
Oh, 'scuse me.