PDA

View Full Version : About examples...

SuB-ZeRo
- 21st June 2005, 00:13
Hi. I am getting bored to ask old threads.When i have a problem about pic or PBP i always search thread before asking.But sometimes i am useing wrong keywords.If it is possible can u make a place about exemples.No body can write but everybody can read.
For example.....

Exemples=>main menu

communication =>Sub menu
=>Pic to pic
=>Pic to PC

Counting =>Sub menu
=>Counting pulses
=>Counting buttons

LCD =>Sub menu
=>Serial LCD
=>Paralel LCD
=>LCD commands
=>Truble shoting on LCD

Pics =>Sub menu
=>16F628
=>16F84
=>16F877

Etc.
Etc.
THESE RE FOR ONLY EXAMPLE
IF U CAN DO LIKE THIS NOBODY WILL ASK THE SAME QUESTION
THIS IS ONLY A PROPOSING.
:)

Dwayne
- 22nd June 2005, 21:42
Hello Sub-zero,

I understand your example question. The FAQ has many examples, and is supposed to be for this very thing.

There are examples of many different things. From LCD to ADC to switches to memory.

One of the many problems a FAQ has on a board, is the ability to cover *all* the questions. Sometimes each persons question is "unique", yet close enough to a FAQ to solve the problem. A FAQ on a board must also assume the person knows at least a little about what they are doing. Manuals teach you the basics, FAQ "fine tunes" the rough edges, or things we miss. I also agree with Melanie...(Her quote). If you feed a person for a day, they will be full for that day, If you teach them to fish, they will feed themselves for that day and many others afterwards. (Granted, this is not word for word, but the meaning I think is there).

Going to Data sheets of the PICS solve probably 95 percent of the problems asked. Granted, the data sheets look greek the first couple of weeks <g>, But it is better to ask questions ABOUT the data sheet, and what it means, than to Plug code in here and say "This doesn't work!". (Because you are using PortA as a I/O, and haven't switched off the AD's and comparators).

I can't speak for the monitors and administration here, but I will speak for myself (which is just a opinion, and nothing more). FAQ should be full of Generic *answers* that will work on most chips. The Code should work for most chips, and the answer should try to cover the topic well. Questions that other people post, should not be in FAQ. But if someone takes that question and "Makes up" a FAQ post from it, so that all can benefit... great. All questions should be in appropriate catagories. When FAQ becomes a question catagory, you have nothing but another "General" question and answer catagory.

Another problem you have with so many different catagories, is "Which Catagory does it belong to?" When the code could contain excellent example of LCD problems, as well as AD and comparator examples. Some folks will classify it as LCD, others AD, and othes Comparator. I may classify it as "Hey dude!", that chip doesn't have AD on it, so why are you using a 648A, and trying to get a AD off of PortA.1? (Their answer will probably be:"But it worked on a 675!").

Dwayne