PDA

View Full Version : PIC read program

TEOWK
- 31st May 2005, 03:33
I am a new begineer and has not experience with PIC before. Recently I am given a task to edit a PIC controller board.

Since the board has already contain the important code, can I possibly upload the source code from PIC?

mister_e
- 31st May 2005, 04:36
if the actual PIC is not code protected yes. In case he is code protect... i have to say No BUT...

Use your favorite device programmer and read the device and you'll have the answer.

TEOWK
- 10th June 2005, 03:44
Thank you. I use a Microchip PICSTART Plus programmer and try to upload the code from PIC 16F877. There is no response after the READ process. While reading, I saw the running number of the read memory address. I am not if this device is code protected. There is not message coming out from the output window.

Please help.

Melanie
- 10th June 2005, 13:48
In this case it looks like the PIC is code protected (most sensible commercial devices would be protected) and as such you would be out of luck.

Also I notice you say you are a new beginner. Even if you did get access to the microcode, it would of limited use to you. You would only be able to reverse compile back into Assembler, and then you will have to understand what the program is attempting to achieve and be familiar with the hardware circuit to get any idea what is going on (since you will have none of the original program comments or notations as they are not saved in the PIC). This is a long, hard and very tedious process for an expert, never mind a beginner. Most probably it would be a lot easier to write new code from the beginning.