PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate PIC Basic

picnaut
- 13th December 2003, 02:24
Hello,

If I had the skills/time/money I know what kind of PIC Basic compiler I would make. I guess if I had enough money now I would just go for it and hire the best people I could find.

I would base it on Microsoft Visual Basic's syntax and, as much as possible, incorporate it's functionality and editor layout/colors.

There would probably have to be permission granted from "Billy Gates" at some point but, given that my compiler would in no way be in competition with them, I don't think it would be a big problem. In fact, they may like it because it may attract some new VB users when people decide to construct their front end GUI.

I wouldn't worry about speed/memory constraints unless the resulting code for a specific device wouldn't compile. What I mean by that is this: 32-bit math may take up a heap of room on a PIC16F628 and it may run slow with a 4MHz crystal, but if someone doesn't care about that then it should be an option. They should be allowed to bog down their little PIC if they so choose.

I'd make it all completely backwards compatible with PICBasic Plus so that code written using PBP would compile just fine with my compiler.

The IDE and compiler would be all rolled into one piece of software. It would operate and behave just like Microsoft Visual Basic (minus the buttons and forms).

I would do away with the floppy disk and distribute my software in a CD with lots of supporting software and documentation.

I'd get some graphic artists to make a really crisp, bright manual with sparse but stylish graphics and screenshots in it.

After I had mastered the PIC I would make add-on compilers for Atmel processors and the Texas Instrument MPS430 line of micros.
Owners of my PIC Basic compiler could add these modules on for a lot less than if they were to buy them exclusively with the IDE.

I'd have free upgrades for a year and then $20 per upgrade per license after that. I'd also limit new releases to a maximum twice a year (i.e. every six months). The customer would not be charged for bug fixes, which could be released for download at any time.

Pretty ambitious? Maybe.
But all good ideas are.

:)

Melanie
- 13th December 2003, 13:39
This makes the assumption that everyone likes Visual Basic or the way it's presented with their GUI. Personally I like neither, but there you go - you can't please all the people all the time...

Good idea however to have upgrade free for the first year from purchase and thereafter only released at a set time twice a year at a flat nominal fee. I've lost count the number of times I've upgraded only to have a new version released a couple of weeks later....

picnaut
- 13th December 2003, 18:10
Hi Melanie,

Yeah, I know, not everyone likes Visual Basic or Microsoft products "period" for that matter.
Personally, I'm glad that Melabs doesn't release software the same way as Microsoft.

Although there are definitely CONs (i.e. program size), I like VB, but to each his own. I chose VB as a template for basic syntax because that is the type of basic that the majority of people that are programming in basic use. The idea being that it may make programming MCU's less frightening for newbies but still powerful enough for pros.

Have a good day.

picnaut

bearpawz
- 9th November 2004, 19:39
As far as syntax goes vs. Visual Basic...I do not see a whole lot of difference... Now what would be nice is being able to use Sub's and Functions like VB... I find writing subs to be more intuitive than gosubs and goto's... Its also very handy to be able to pass the sub some usefull variables..

Dwayne
- 9th November 2004, 23:10
I would have the IDE in Borlands C/C++ form, and have the entire program based upon C and C++. That way you have no restrictions on where you write, and do not have a compiler limiting you to pre-defined spaces in memory.

Dwayne