PDA

View Full Version : PBP hardware oriented?

mpavlica
- 2nd May 2005, 14:48
Hello!
Ive seen & used BASCOM AVR and i saw that BASCOM does not emulate I2C, SPI, USART etc stuffs - if device support it, then it use it hardware possibilities.
Is there any chances, that PBP can "see" which MCU is used and then to use hardware stuffs instead emulating it or programmer to wrap arround all those registers??
Like, if i use I2CWRITE command, if 16F84 is used, then it need to be emulated. But if i use 16F876, then i just need to connect it to right SDA/SCL lines, and I2C oriented commands will use hardware capable USART, not emulating it.
Am i in right or i am missing something?
Sorry for my english!
Milan Pavlica
YU7XW

Acetronics2
- 3rd May 2005, 09:47
And did you see PBP manual ???

May be it's time to read it ...

Alain

mister_e
- 3rd May 2005, 17:00
As now there's no PBP statement to use the internal MSSP module as HSERIN or HPWM do.

mpavlica
- 4th May 2005, 08:47

Alain

I DID!!!!!!!
AND?
Also, what about IDE and simulator? BASCOM even have LCD in simulator etc etc etc
Is there any chances to develop new IDE or to advance MicroCodestudio? More oriented to hardware simulation!?!?!
When i take a look on PIC and AVR family, i want to use PIC with PBP, but sometimes i feel "inferior" when i see what BASCOM can do and PBP cannot! (but it could be capable)!!

mister_e
- 4th May 2005, 17:08
IMHO simulation tools are just toys. not much. I really prefer to have all my parts on a board to see the real operation in a real environement.

But if you feel better to use something that gives you those toys, PBP is not the one you need. As i know/suspect PROTON gives those toys.

mytekcontrols
- 14th June 2005, 23:08
Originally Posted by Acetronics

Alain

I have one of the latest manuals which I ordered with my last upgrade, and I can't find any command or reference that states usage with the I2C or SPI hardware. Alain can you please respond and tell us what you are talking about?

I too would love to see full support of any hardware peripheral functions by PBP.

mister_e
- 15th June 2005, 01:51
Posted many times on many thread... At this time PBP don't handle the MSSP module. if you want it now, you build it. well as now. I also hope that one day that option will be considered by Melabs. Not because SHIFTIN/SHIFTOUT/I2CREAD/I2CWRITE and others don't work properly... just because they don't use the internal ressources and the possible max speed.

mytekcontrols
- 15th June 2005, 07:18
My main reason for wanting it has to do with easing the load on the program, and giving you a somewhat multi-tasking aspect. If I recall correctly there are built-in data buffers associatted with the hardware I2C. So it would seem that you could just load the buffer with a PBP command and then take off and do something else while the buffer is sent. Of course the buffer is very short, but still it seems like their would be advantages to the person that uses PBP because they don't like, or know how to program in assembly.

Even better still would be if a future version of PBP would give the option of implementing recieve buffers for the serial and I2C routines. Something that would be able to operate in the background as an interrupt, and set a flag that could be occasionally polled by the PBP code.

I luckly do know how to write assembly interrupts, so for me there are other ways to skin the cat (opps! I would NEVER do such a thing, and my cat still has all of his fur), but for some folks it is still beyond there comfort level, and is probably the reason they bought a Basic Compiler in the first place.