PDA

View Full Version : Next Project - Canon Camera Control over USB

timmers
- 14th September 2011, 17:35
Before I dig too deep in the USB Hosting murk, and waste my time, is an 18F device plus a USB host chip, capable of hosting PTP protocoll to communicate with a Canon camera?

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or must read material, then let me know.

I have looked at the Arduino USB shield and whilst it has allready been done, I would then have to control the Arduino!

If an Atmel can do it, then can a PIC do it?
Tim.

ardhuru
- 15th September 2011, 04:31
Hi Tim,

If all you need is remote shutter operation (perhaps with timers), than there is an easier way to do this. There are apps for Android, I phone and so on that play .wav files over the earphone socket, which in turn drive a pair of IR LEDs. I assume its a DSLR you are talking about. I am in the process of designing a pic based cable that would use any such app, and permit me to control the DSLR with a wired connection. The extra benefit would be better, AND brand/protocol un-specific operation.

If you want to do this with a Canon point-and-shoot, you could use the CHDK build, and it would be very trivial to let the pic take control, although with the loads of functions built-in into the CHDK you probably wont need the pic.

Regards,

Anand

timmers
- 15th September 2011, 10:09
I need complete control over any Canon (DSLR) camera. Canon UK are releasing the protocols to us, but my concern is the PIC may not be up to the job!