PDA

View Full Version : LESTER - Permissions Issue

ScaleRobotics
- 30th August 2011, 17:57
It looks like this forum area was supposed to be in the community area, seen by all. But it looks like only moderators can see this area (if I am looking at it right).

lester
- 30th August 2011, 18:23
Yes, it was going to be viewable / usable by the forum users. I wanted to use this area for PBP3 users. BUt the discussion in the moderators forum suggested that NO specific area was required, so i did not make it accessable to all.

I'm still of the opinion that a PBP3 section would be a good idea.

I'm happy if you want to kick off the discussion again.

If

ScaleRobotics
- 30th August 2011, 18:37
Well, I was one of the guys saying we don't need it, but the first one to try to use it.........

I hate it, and like it at the same time, and here is why.
Hate it:#1 I think all questions will start to be asked and answered here, even if they pertain to earlier versions of PBP. (Ok, maybe not all, but I believe lots).
Hate it:#2 I think the the non PBP3 questions that end up here will only (OK, 90%) be answered by people that have PBP3. This will stop many from answering questions that are well within their abilities.

Like/Love it: Sure there are some PBP3 specific questions, and we probably need it.

mackrackit
- 30th August 2011, 21:14
I can not decide either. I at first thought it was needed but now I am not so sure. So far for me my old code works and even my old inline configs (I almost forgot and commented the inc, did anyway and no problem, I like the new way better though).

But with some of the old commands being depreciated at some point there will be a lot of "why will this not work with PBP3?".

So maybe we should get folks use to having a PBP3 place and if we find a post that does not belong we move it.. We have to do that some as it is, along with pointing folks to the Proton site....

Archangel
- 31st August 2011, 00:37
Looks like a lot of "Moderation" to sort the threads, by moderators who USE PBP3 and right now that disqualifies me, and likely some others. Just MHO. As for Proton . . . is there any way to have a Drop zone for those posts so they will show up on that forum or a redirect script to send the Proton User to there, kind of a limited guest login area for redirects? They could probably use it too. I am thinking it should require moderator or higher to make the move.

ScaleRobotics
- 31st August 2011, 00:59
I guess my answer wasn't yes or no, so I can't expect yours to be Joe:)

Archangel
- 31st August 2011, 03:38
UMMMMMmmmmm, I do not see the need so far, after I get my upgrade I may change that opinion, when they go online with 24 bit support that will likely be a big change, but maybe not. Those Old Boys are pretty good at what they do and Darrel is a real bridge between the Cheetos eating computer geeks and regular humans :D HE HE HE (No offense intended, I like computer geeks)! BTW I read in a book somewhere that Cheetos are the appropriate bribe for computer geeks to un-hash your system . . .
And you all thought I couldn't read books, shame on ya . . .
Here is a forum I like and participate and get totally lost in due to BLOAT.
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php

lester
- 31st August 2011, 05:06
well as i say, the setion is not live so users cannot see it. When its decided that a PBP3 section is required, its there and ready.

Re Proton, i dont see any Proton posts, , just the odd one now and then and users seem to point them to the other forum. I did not think it was an issue.

As you have suggested i could arrange a section for Proton and Auto redirect users to the Proton forum if you think its required. let me know on that one.

Archangel
- 31st August 2011, 07:19
As you have suggested i could arrange a section for Proton and Auto redirect users to the Proton forum if you think its required. let me know on that one.
Just thinking out loud Lester, just throwin' ideas into the ring.

lester
- 31st August 2011, 07:37
Just thinking out loud Lester, just throwin' ideas into the ring.

Well thats what this forum areas is all about.

On the subject of thinking out load, is it time to open the moderation status to some new blood and prune some of the users with moderation status that are not actively contributing?

Ioannis
- 31st August 2011, 08:21
How about to have an obligatory field while registering for the kind of Compiler?

Also this compiler field been shown along with the members info.

Just thinkin loud too... so that a member can show what is he/she talking about.

If not then a seperate section might be the way as is now with PBC and PBP.

Ioannis

Ioannis
- 31st August 2011, 08:22
I really cannot decide but seems to make sense having a new section.

Although I was not for it....

Ioannis

lester
- 31st August 2011, 14:59
How about to have an obligatory field while registering for the kind of Compiler?

Also this compiler field been shown along with the members info.Yes, i already arranged this. If you look at the users profile and the 'about me' entry, you'll see the License status that they claim to have.

Ioannis, Try it on your profile you'll see that the information is available, if the user has completed the entry.

Once again, i did not publish this, as when i suggested it the reaction was rather negative. never the less, i think its a good idea to allow people to identify their Licensed status, if they so wish.

Ioannis
- 31st August 2011, 17:59
Yes I did noticed when you made the change. But is not required field. Is rather an option if someone wants to complete it.

Think that we will have finally the new section.

Ioannis

lester
- 31st August 2011, 22:32
well its optional, because we cannot check ( meLabs are not in agreement to us checking the user status) so if we cannot check, we may as well let the user declare their status or not, as they wish.

Essentially if in doubt you could ask the user to declare their status, before supporting them, that's your choice./

Demon
- 9th September 2011, 00:46
... is it time to open the moderation status to some new blood and prune some of the users with moderation status that are not actively contributing?

That depends, am I first on the prune list? :D

Seriously, about contributing, how do you define that? Right now I mainly check the mod forum for news, check for inappropriate posts and validate stuff on the MOD link at the bottom. I have yet to get into articles and such, I want to get more "warmed up" before touching that.

New blood wouldn't hurt, although I myself have yet to shoot my first spammer. That says something about the speed in which they are dealt with by those already here.

But generally I would say yes, new blood would be good.