PDA

View Full Version : Lcd Clock Module

dsicon
- 30th November 2003, 18:27
is the email list down? nothing for ages

anyone know about a ready-made
LCD clock module?
something with a couple of buttons and a logic
output for alarm - bolt it to a panel and send one or two lines to my PIC?

Dennis Saputelli

Robert Soubie
- 30th November 2003, 19:44
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dsicon

is the email list down? nothing for ages

I think so, the last messages I have are dated 11/26; also [email protected] now is an "unknown user". Looks like a computer crash of some sort.

bcd
- 30th November 2003, 23:29
I know that RS components in the UK used to sell an LED based module that did a similar thing. It had an alarm out line that could be used to do stuff.

Maybe you could develop a serial backpack type device with a pic, lcd and rtc and make a killing Scott Edwards style 8-)

bill.

dsicon
- 2nd December 2003, 16:37
i know i could roll my own
but the effort and ultimate parts cost for a low volume product are a killer
(16x2 LCD $8 +pc bd area + clk chip +xtal +battery+pic+assy) * 3
probably =>$90 end customer cost

considering that you can buy LCD stick up watch things for 99 cents or something you would think that there would be some asian component for 5 bucks

Dwayne
- 26th December 2003, 00:07
Hello Dscion,

What you could do, is use a 5 volt regulator, and tap off the Cycles of your AC line. Then count the number of cycles per second. If you have 50hz, you would count to 50, then increment a counter, do the same for 60hz. Then it would be a very simple job do make a clock. The voltage regulator would only turn on, when it gets to 5 volts or more PLUS side of a A/C cycle. Looking at a scope, it will be a Pulsating 5 volt DC line. I may have a schematic someplace for this.

Dwayne