PDA

View Full Version : How to get a PBP 3.0 Upgrade ???

Acetronics2
- 5th August 2011, 17:31
Hi,

I browsed Melabs and Crownhill sites ...

Crownhill http://www.crownhill.co.uk/product.php?prod=2127 tells "
This product is currently unavailable. " and Melabs asks for a registering number that didn't exist previously ... and comes with a new product ...

sooo ... how could we proceed ???

May be I could add 30£ is a bit ( read way too much ...) expensive for so little user appearing enhancements ... :(

Alain

rmteo
- 5th August 2011, 17:46
....May be I could add 30£ is a bit ( read way too much ...) expensive for so little user appearing enhancements ... :(

Alain
Perhaps do like mikroE's upgrade policy? :p

Acetronics2
- 5th August 2011, 18:03
I do appreciate ...

On the other hand ... " upgrades " ( let's say patches ??? ) are so frequent no customer would use it any more ... if charged. :D

Alain

HenrikOlsson
- 5th August 2011, 18:14
Hi Alain,
I got mine from Melabs. I orderd online but since I didn't initially buy the compiler or MCSP directly from Melabs they asked for proof of the original purchase, which I supplied, and just hours later I got the activation codes via e-mail.

I haven't installed it yet though...

If you don't think it's worth the money then don't get it - PBP2.60 will continue to function as it always have. Personally I think that the conditional compilation feature alone is worth the upgrade cost. Not having to edit the .inc files comes as icing on the cake but that's me.

Hopefully future upgrades within PBP3 will be a little less but that's just me hoping/speculating.

/Henrik.

Charles_Leo
- 5th August 2011, 18:19
I'm afraid that PBP upgrades will no longer be offered through distributors. When purchased from melabs, the upgrade key will be delivered electronically.

You don't need any sort of registration number to order the upgrade, though you are required to create an account at our store. The account allows us to track your eligibility for future free upgrades, and it records your activation key in case you misplace it.

Order upgrades here:
http://store.melabs.com/cat/PBPUP.html

Users that have never registered PBP will be asked for proof of purchase after the order is placed. Registered users will receive an activation key shortly after ordering.

A pdf of the new manual is included with the software download. Distributors may opt to offer the printed manual, but it will take some time for new inventory to arrive.

As always, you are encouraged to upgrade, but not required to. The upgrade price includes one year of free upgrades.

Acetronics2
- 5th August 2011, 19:01
Hi, Charles

Proof of purchase is a good question ...

I bought PBP 2.33 from an official reseller about 10 years ago ( 1999 ), changed address, and of course ... lost my receipe !!!

So, I just have left

1) my original Diskette ( out of use by the time ... )
2) My original Registration card ... I never sent back to Melabs ( the little green card ... )

Thanks to Crownhill, ( who I sent the precious Diskette as a proof of Purchase ...) I could get upgrades till the day ...

If Crownhill is supposed not to sell upgrades any longer ( did I read you correctly ? ) ... how can I ( and probably some other old users ...) proceed ???

Thanks for your enlightments on this point ...

Alain

lester
- 5th August 2011, 19:43
I'm really sorry that we can no longer offer upgrades. If Crownhill clients no longer have their original invoice or other proof of purchase, i'm sure that we'll be able to identify sales in our records and offer our confirmation of sale to meLabs if required.

The link you refer to in your original post, is of course no longer valid and now shows only the product not found message.

The home page on this site and the catalogue listings are being updated to reflect the information related to the new PBP3 product.

We appreciate that the new upgrade policy represents a significant increase in the cost of ownership for PBP, progress costs! We will be recommending that all of Crownhill's PBP users upgrade at the earliest opportunity, it is important to support the product to ensure continued development and the longevity of the PBP community.

Acetronics2
- 5th August 2011, 20:27
Hi, Lester

If Crownhill clients no longer have their original invoice or other proof of purchase, i'm sure that we'll be able to identify sales in our records and offer our confirmation of sale to meLabs if required.

Really kind from you. :)

Halas ... as Charles wrote ...

Users that have never registered PBP will be asked for proof of purchase after the order is placed. Registered users will receive an activation key shortly after ordering.

The " little " problem is melabs asks for the product registration number to be able to place the order ... :(

somewhat an embarassing problem, don't you think ???

( I must tell I registered at Melab's site ... but no way to place an order without this !!@@@!! stupid product key ... I of course can't have ! )

Intersting, you said " interesting " ???

Alain

Charles_Leo
- 5th August 2011, 20:45
I don't know what you are referring to, Alain.

Our site doesn't require any code for the initial purchase.

Don't bother with software registration before ordering. Just sign in and purchase the appropriate upgrade.

If it is asking you for a code, tell me the heading of the screen. I will fix it if necessary. You may email me directly if you wish. ([email protected])

david1800
- 6th August 2011, 09:16
Hi Charles

It isn't clear whether the upgrade (I currently have v PBP 2.60) includes the latest version of MSCP or if I will need to buy this as well.

Grateful if you could confirm, thanks

David Parker

Charles_Leo
- 6th August 2011, 14:45
The upgrade for MicroCode Studio PLUS (MSCP) is offered for an additional charge ($14) at the time of purchase. It is delivered as an additional product key.

The standard MicroCode Studio (MCS) is included as before, at no charge.

PBP3 requires MicroCode 5 (MCSX and MSCPX). MicroCode 5 does not support previous versions of PBP.

Because of these changes, the new versions of PBP and MicroCode install in new folders and new program groups. This insures that any previously-installed versions will continue to function on your computer.

Acetronics2
- 7th August 2011, 15:14
I don't know what you are referring to, Alain.

Our site doesn't require any code for the initial purchase.

Hi, Charles

Don't know how I could have missed that one :

You must be signed-in to purchase upgrades. If there are no purchase options here, sign in (http://store.melabs.com/cat/LOGN.html) and return to this category. If you don't have an account, you may create one.
Accounts are necessary to enable FREE UPGRADES for 1-Year after purchase

Everything worked fine, and I got my "little message" from Melabs little time after ...

Regards
Alain

Charles_Leo
- 7th August 2011, 17:04
No worries.

Note that we just updated the download to version 3.0.1. A potentially serious code-generation bug was identified and fixed. All users should download the latest.

http://www.pbp3.com/downloadpbp

Dave
- 8th August 2011, 12:32
Thank You Charles.....

derryck
- 18th August 2011, 19:07
I've just contacted Crownhill, from whom I originally bought PicBasic Pro and subsequent updates up to 2.50, and of course any paperwork etc has long since turned to dust. Unfortunately they aren't able to give me any proof of purchase, as they've changed accounting systems since 2006 (was it really that long ago?).

How to proceed to purchasing an upgrade to 3 then, please?

And what happens with MCS - all I have is the CD for MicroCode Studio from Mecanique? I can't recall entering any serial number.

mister_e
- 18th August 2011, 19:28
Send your request to Melabs, Even if I had my proof of purchase, I had the choice to send a Scan of the manual and CD of the latest upgrade (2.6), same goes for MCSP,

My old Black cd of MCSP had a serial number written on the "Flexible cd case" (pouch whatever it is called... sorry :D)

Charles_Leo
- 18th August 2011, 19:39
If you have CDs for PBP and MicroCode, we'll be able to verify. We also have registrations (both mailed and web-submitted) from 1997 forward.

You may order first and wait for instructions, or contact us before ordering.
[email protected]

lester
- 18th August 2011, 19:41
Derryck,

please drop me a PM with some details as to when you purchased from us, or when you last purchased an upgrade from us.

Just give us something to go on. Without any clue, its difficult for us to check on older records.

derryck
- 19th August 2011, 10:25
Charles - email sent with scans of the two CDs. Unless Crownhill send you customer details, you won't have any other details.

Lester - PM sent.

lester
- 19th August 2011, 10:58
Yes, with the additional information provided, we can confirm your purchase. PM sent to you and copied to Charles