PDA

View Full Version : PIC Basic-L List ?

nedtron
- 30th November 2003, 09:51
Greetings,

Is the PIC Basic-L list not functioning ? ( [email protected] )
I stopped receiving posts and attempts to re-subscribe have failed.

Ned

Ned Seith
Nedtronics
1716 lodi Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94401
650-341-6097
[email protected] <12/15/03
[email protected] >11/26/03

Melanie
- 30th November 2003, 10:48
It has been down since 26/11 when some previous posts started repeating... it is possible it is suffering some sort of spam attack. I know that dealing with list abuse has become tiresome recently. We'll just have to wait for a comment from Lester probably on Monday.

nedtron
- 30th November 2003, 11:21
Greetings Melanie,

As always, your the lady with the answers.

Thanks for your response.

Looking forward to your informative posts on the list.

Ned

dsicon
- 30th November 2003, 19:29
same here
yes it seems to be down
Dennis Saputelli

picnaut
- 2nd December 2003, 19:51
I've been programming PICs for about 4 years in assembly and recently started using PBP. I dove into it about a month ago and my current project is going quite well. I just discovered "this" online forum too and I'm truly impressed. I love the fact that contributers can attach schematics and code. Awesome!!!

However, before this forum I used the archives on the melabs website. Their search engine is great! Almost anything I've ever needed I have been able to find within minutes using the archive.

I'm assuming that the mailing list you are all referring to is the same list that makes up the archive. It would be a shame to have no more contributions to that. I run a search in that archive almost daily and I'm just about to start using the 18F series PICs (specifically 252 and 452). Being relatively new devices, I'm counting on the archive to help me wade through the "gotchas".

lester
- 3rd December 2003, 19:20
The list will return!

We simply have to rebuild the server and reinstate the files. We will do this as fast as we can.

Until we fix the probelms the web forum is working well and is more managable and less prone to abuse.

Isn't it strange how every time we see user "Ken" fall out with somebody, we have problems with the mail servers shortly afterwards.

Its almost as if someone watches for the outbursts and penalises us for not doing something about it. maybe we are getting paranoid, but the regularity of the problem and its proximity to the outbursts, coupoled with the number of complains that we get about the user "ken" have lead us to the conclusion that its probably better to bow to the demands of a silent force than to stand up for the rights of a user that seems hjell bent on ailienating the rest of the mailing list community

yes, the mailing list server has been attacked again, on the very day after Ken and a list member had a falling out.

I have no idea if our member "Ken", had anything to do with the latest attack, but I'm now convinced that if user "Ken" was to keep his non PICBASIC (infact all of) his opinions to himself, the server would not be subjected to the barrage of attacks that seem to hit us after each and every one of his outbursts.

We are working on a fix and rebuild of the server. It seems that we have some members of the community that have an intimate knowledge of the SUN Web Appliances, or more to the point Linux, since they managed to take out the previous servers too.

I think that we will have to ask that user "Ken" leaves the list. We have no choice, it may not be him that is perpetrating these attacks, but they are linked to his activity and his attitude is rather offensive to most, at times.

Of course we cannot stop "Ken" or any other person joining the list under a different name, if they do so we will have to try to filter any offensive or totally off topic outbursts.

User "Ken" is not affiliated to us and has no specific rights over list ettiquete.

We neither ask for or require the assistance of the user "Ken".

The web based forum is alive and working www.picbasic.co.uk/forum

Lester Wilson
[email protected]
----------------------
Crownhill Associates Limited
The Old Station Yard
Wilburton
Cambs CB6 3PZ
----------------------
Tel: +44 (0)1353 749990
Fax: +44(0) 1353 749991
----------------------
www.crownhill.co.uk/contact.php

picnaut
- 5th December 2003, 06:18
Whoa!

I ran a search for "Ken" in the list archive on Melabs website.
He never turned up in any of my previous "PIC related" searches but, when I looked for comments specifically from him I was disgusted.

What a jerk!
What attracts people like this to a place that is meant for people to help one another?

From what I read, on one occasion, it looked like he actually asked a guy to "step outside".

A few people even left the list because of this guy.
Personally, I don't think they should have given him the satisfaction.

Anyway, good for you Lester and good for the list.

Here's to the end of a crummy era and the beginning of a fresh new one.

"List long and prosper" (oh man, that's terrible even for me)