PDA

View Full Version : Better location for articles and projects.

Heckler
- 2nd June 2011, 17:11
Untill the recent promotion of the thread I started to an article "cheap ds18b20's, are they legit".

I really did not know that articles and projects existed on this forum. I had read mention of them but really, it was not obvious where they were located.
I think it would be better and more usefull/obvious if they were taken out from under the "WIKI" link and a new link specifically called "Project Articles", or something like that, were created. If the "articles" section were more prominent it might get used more. I think most PIC-heads come here for the discussion forum and never visit the wiki section.

Also, once into the WIKI is is quite tedious to click down through each category only to find that category is empty. Would it be possible to "gray out" those empty categories? Or, possibly, remove the empty ones altogether until an article is created that needs a new category. It might be usefull to have an index of the names of the articles with links to each article. That way one could just browse down through the names of all the articles and click on the ones that seem interesting, instead of having to look through each individual category.

Not complaining... just a couple of suggestions

Thanks for a great forum

Byte_Butcher
- 19th September 2011, 03:47
If the "articles" section were more prominent it might get used more. I think most PIC-heads come here for the discussion forum and never visit the wiki section.

Also, once into the WIKI is is quite tedious to click down through each category only to find that category is empty. Would it be possible to "gray out" those empty categories? Or, possibly, remove the empty ones altogether until an article is created that needs a new category. It might be usefull to have an index of the names of the articles with links to each article. That way one could just browse down through the names of all the articles and click on the ones that seem interesting, instead of having to look through each individual category.

Thanks for a great forum

Yes please! I'd like to 2nd those thoughts.
The wiki area is terribly depressing to wade through only to find most of it is empty.
An index of the articles somewhere "up front" would be great.

lester
- 19th September 2011, 07:17
The projects section now contains only sections that contain projects.

I think all wiki areas contain entries.

An index is something we'll have to look at, it wil take a lot of time to compile it manually, so i'll look into some way of automating articles into an index...some time...

Unless you'd like to volunteer some time, to assist with building an index and reviewing it as each new article is published?

Or maybe submit a code example for the areas that were empty??

Note, the recently introduced Include Files section - requested by a user- is empty.

A form is available to asssit with making a contribution: http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/misc.php?do=form&fid=1

ALL contributions to the wiki are usefull to someone at sometime - no matter how small or simple -

howabout a push to submit code examples, i'm sure that you all have little routines that you use regularly and larger programs that you've written and could donate?

Byte_Butcher
- 19th September 2011, 17:54
An index is something we'll have to look at, it wil take a lot of time to compile it manually, so i'll look into some way of automating articles into an index...some time...

OK, it was only a serving suggestion.

Unless you'd like to volunteer some time, to assist with building an index and reviewing it as each new article is published?

I think you taught me last year about the joys of volunteering.