PDA

View Full Version : 16F84A EEPROM Programming

Acetronics2
- 7th March 2005, 15:09
Hi, Everybody

I Have a little problem with my 16F84A EEPROMs ...
I am working with PBP 2.45a,MPLAB 7.01 and Picstart+ Upgraded.

With a brand new chip no problems, Loading values to EEPROM Works pretty Well ...

But, with an already programmed chip, I need to reset All EEPROM values to $FF ... ( DATA $FF(64) at the end of the config. section of my program)

Here comes the problem ...
MPLAB tells everything all right, "verify" tells everything Ok ...

BUT, a "read" shows Old values are still here, and an "on board" run shows it too ...

Has anyone ever dealt with such problems ???

... I know it's not PBP's fault nor mine ...

Alain

mister_e
- 7th March 2005, 17:44
In MPLAB, go to Configure>> Settings >>Program Loading and check Clear EE data upon loading a program

Acetronics2
- 7th March 2005, 18:42
Thanks, steve

But it's already done ... ( also default setting, i think )

Even microchip tell me to erase device before re-programming...so, it's a real bug !!!

As their SSR 19753 says clearly EEPROM ERase doesn't work with 16F628, 16F84 and 16F876 ... what to do ?

Really Funny ... isn't it !!!

Regards
Alain

mister_e
- 7th March 2005, 18:53
nop it's not a default setting.

I still don't understand why Microchip don't offer, like many other programmer software, this 'erase before programming' option... well MPLAB is free ;)

i was not aware of this SSR 19753... so i guess you must clear them manually directly in the View>> EEPROM , right click on the window and choose Fill memory

Acetronics2
- 7th March 2005, 19:03
Sorry Steve ... doesn't work either !!!

All Other values ...except FF !!!

Alain

mister_e
- 7th March 2005, 19:56
Oh my gooood!!!

fill memory with FF

Programmer>>Setting
uncheck auto select memory areas and range
check EEPROM data

program your PIC... read it back... you're now in business

Acetronics2
- 8th March 2005, 07:14
Hi, Steve

Seems impossible to write FF ( or erase ) to the EEPROM ... I had tried this way too ... memory window just can show his red face !!! no more.

I think, I have to wait for the 7.02 Release ...

Have a nice day

Alain

Acetronics2
- 8th March 2005, 18:40
Hi, Everybody

Here is the answer from Microchip :

Comments:
You are correct, regarding SSR19753, even though the PIC16F84A is not mentioned. I have informed the development systems group about this.

The enhancement to erase EEPROM is planned for MPLAB IDE v7.20.

Currently:
Issuing an Erase when the device has been code protected will clear the entire device of data. A Blank Check will state the device is blank
Programming the entire device with new data will change all memory areas. If for example this data were the reset values, a Blank Check after programming would reflect the device is blank.

So must we do ...

Good quiet night to you, folks ...

Alain