PDA

View Full Version : chip selection aid

PICMAN
- 18th February 2005, 21:12
ok i just searched forums, came up dry,

lets say im familiar with pic16f84,, but want to learn more chips, and be able to easily figure out what chip i need for a project, givin # of inputs , etc,

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
is there a chip flow chart that aids in selection of a chip,

is there comparasons made against various chips, # of i/o type, power etc,

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

i know data sheets can do this but it seems cumborsum to some one like me , who knows 1 chip , and gets confused selecting the one he wants from a list of the same chip ,

perhaps a good way to express what id like, is a progresive chart of chips, i know i know the bottom line , bare bones one, pic 16f84, which is next step up for memory, code space,, what is similar but with more i/o

am i making my question clear enough to procure an answer?

reason i ask, is im closing in on my turn signal prototype, and am begining to adapt the design to include another design, in the same prouduction, and relize i will need more code space, and a few more imputs, i know if i gave you the exact numbers, you could spit out 15 chips i could use, , , im more looking to learn how you do it so next time,, i can

mister_e
- 18th February 2005, 21:19
Look Here (http://melabs.picbasic.com/Scripts/perl/picsearch.pl)

Also here (http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=74)

PICMAN
- 18th February 2005, 23:09
perfect, exactly what i meant ty

kenpo
- 21st February 2005, 19:21
also, if you just wanna move up from the 16f84a, the 16f628 is the update for it.

you can program it with any 16f84a programmer (my garbage one does fine).

the difference is it's CHEAPER and larger 2k memory (versus 1k).

I'd suggest you start with that. microchip is discontinuing the 16f84 soon

PICMAN
- 21st February 2005, 19:33
thnx, i was more asking how to taylor a chip to a job, givin code space needed pins etc, though this info is extreamly usefull if i just needed 2 times the space :)