PDA

View Full Version : what's similar to the 16f84a?

kenpo
- 17th February 2005, 19:10
Hei there,

what I'm wondering is, what are my alternatives to the 16f84? things that are still code and pin compatible. (I'm using PicBasic PRO 2.45)

The 16f628a seems great with it's internal oscilaltor (been using it) so I'd like something else like that.

why do I ask? I'm a student ordering samples for microchip.com. they don't ship to students, which is too bad,
and confusing, becuase I'll be the future user for their stuff. so i can't just ask for 18 16f628a's (I'm limited to 3 of each chip type).

so what chips can I order that are like it? I want to just port over my code.
so far I see the 16f84, 16f84a, 16f628 (a), and the 16f648 (which is the 28 with 4k?). do I have any other options?
my budget is very small and I'm doing a test run of 20 animatronic units, so I need to cut my costs as much as possible.
I hope no one is insulted by this quesiton or thinks I'm just trying to scam microchip, with servos and everything else I need, i'm just broke.

Thank you very much for your time.

PICMAN
- 18th February 2005, 08:30
hate to ask this, after closer inspection of my chips, i relize im using pic16f84a aswell, i thought it had an internal osilator, but didnt see any thing on the data sheet, it doesnt happen to be at 4 mghz does it? and what do i do to use it, if ne thing

NavMicroSystems
- 18th February 2005, 15:46
kenpo

a 4MHz 16F628 is about $2, can't you really afford this ?

NavMicroSystems
- 18th February 2005, 15:54
PICMAN

I'm not sure what your question is actually about, but the datasheet will tell you all the details.

See: Datasheet (http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/35007b.pdf)

The PBP Manual shows an example of "how to wire an 16F84" in section 2.4

kenpo
- 18th February 2005, 17:49
$2 where?
the local electronics shop near me doesn't sell them for $2, it's closer to 4. either way, I need 20, if I can cut my costs, I'm sure as heck willing to try. ;) there are more things beyond PIC's to this project, and my cost is already upto $600....

either way though, for the sake of knowledge, I'd like to know the answer.

I'm still somewhat new to pics, so this seems like a good excuse to learn what some of the others are...

PICMAN
the 16f84a doesn't have an internal OSC.

NavMicroSystems
- 18th February 2005, 18:00
kenpo

you are not really expecting any company to send out 20 samples for free, are you?

1 or 2 (free) samples are certainly enough for evaluation.

The answer to the other question can be found at Microchip's website, almost any 18pin PIC will do.

But again:

If you require 20+ devices this is a production job and no evaluation.

You should order your equippement and pay for it.

mister_e
- 18th February 2005, 18:06
PICMAN, here in canada, usually the cheapest one are

www.digikey.com
www.newark.com

compare the price between both.

NavMicroSystems
- 18th February 2005, 18:11
Originally posted by kenpo
$2 where?
the local electronics shop near me doesn't sell them for $2, it's closer to 4.

check www.mouser.com and the many others on the web.

See also: This Thread (http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1276)

kenpo
- 18th February 2005, 18:11
NavMicroSystems
well, that just sounds rude. you make me sound like a theif.
it's not a production run. it's a peice of artwork, and like any artist, AND student, I'm dead broke.
you can't blame me for using what resources I can.
the worlds not so black and white, I hope this isn't the general attitude this board has to questions being asked, that was pretty snotty.

kenpo
- 18th February 2005, 18:18
well, maybe I'm being rude now, sorry ralph. as to your comment about not expecting any company to send out 20 free samples, acctually I can

I'm in my thesis year at an art collge in canada, and many people are getting things free. film for movie production from kodak, free cameras, etc.
artists are always on low budgets, and we try to get things scrunged , donated, and loaned as much as possible. many companies do do that. I just think there's not many artists embedding PIC's into their work so it's not even crossed Microchips mind yet.

thank you very much for the mouser link, those prices are great, I'll prob buy from there. thanks ralph

NavMicroSystems
- 18th February 2005, 18:22
kenpo

Sorry,
it was NOT meant to be rude,
but even if you call it "ARTWORK" you can not expect to get this quantity for free.

A real artwork usually is a single unique piece (i.e. a painting)

PICMAN
- 18th February 2005, 19:26
thnkx for the info, after seeing this post i thought i had missed it where they spoke about the internal one, ty all, got the answer i expected, (and i know how to wire it up, one of the books sugested to me was absolutly great)
i appreaciate the info, havin you guys is great,

really do apreaciate the patience you guys exzibit with all my stupid questions :)ive progressed very far with your help,

i hope every one relizes how much time you guys spend making this a valuable resorce for every one, and how S O L we would be with out yas,