PDA

View Full Version : where do you get your components

PICMAN
- 16th February 2005, 23:06
ok, my projects are at the point where i need to start thinking baout where to gather up my parts, im kinda new to actually prouducing my projects, usually i design them and then they get put in the archives, soo, ive never actually bought a bulk of components, used to goto radio shack, *shudderz*

so heres my dilema, infront of me sits digikey allied and about 4 other catalogs i obtained from my father, i was wondering if any one uses them (rather then all the sites i see with projects which i note,, cost more then i see in my catalogs)

i heard of a mythical program some companies run where they will give you free parts,, any one familiar with this?

can every one leave a reply, where u buy parts, and how you like them, ie great shiping, always instock, cheep, etc,

am i the only one trying to tap into places like digikey? is ther a reason people buy from 3rd party vendors

mister_e
- 16th February 2005, 23:13
actually i use
Digikey
ElectroSonic
Allied
MCM
Newark
Mouser
and some local dealer here in Montreal

Digikey is the fastest i use. I get my stock for the next day. You have to compare price between those if you plan to make a big production. Use their website to compare. Price may change every day.

Some also use Jameco... i can`t comment on them.

For free parts... As i know, you can have some sample from company like Microchip, TI and such. 1-2 sample / part#... not much. But for testing purpose it's even enough.

PICMAN
- 16th February 2005, 23:17
any sugestions on how to obtain a few chips? have you done this?

mister_e
- 16th February 2005, 23:20
Go to the website of the company who made the chip, and there's probably a link to get free sample there.

I did and i still do it sometime when i want to test something new that i'm not sure it will work as i want for me.