PDA

View Full Version : Sticky ?

NavMicroSystems
- 14th February 2005, 21:09
Lester,

could we have something like this (http://www.picbasic.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1247) as "sticky" post on top of every category?

regards

Ralph

NavMicroSystems
- 9th March 2005, 01:56
Lester ?
--------

Phil
- 9th March 2005, 11:01
Your forum moderator (Darrel Taylor) should be able to do this by choosing "Thread tools" and making the thread Sticky.

Hope this helps,
Phil

NavMicroSystems
- 10th March 2005, 23:56
Phil,

are the moderators aware they are supposed to moderate this forum?

If we are going to continue with no moderation at all we are going to end up in a mess.

lester
- 11th March 2005, 07:50
We devote quite some resource in providing this forum.

Adding sticky notes, that should be plain common sense, creates clutter that in my opinion should not be required.

However i did not ignore your request, i simply did not notice it!

I dont want to be a forum nanny or policeman.

We do run other forums and mailing lists, we have not had to resort to such tactics on those to keep the forums in order.

Phil is correct, you do have moderators, if they dont know how or dont have time to moderate they can always send a request to me, as they have done in the past.

My opinion is that the forum should be self policing, the users are on the whole intelligent and respectful, so i dont see the need for a plethora of notices, rules and regulations.

I dont like rules, I do appreciate that sometimes they are needed, so i try to keep them to a minimum.

Comments from the moderators?

Melanie
- 11th March 2005, 11:08
I hate to tamper with other folks posts even if they hold views that I strongly object to... I'll debate it rather than police it.

I've moved posts from one category into anonother if they've been posted inappropriately, or deleted unescessary duplicates, and once removed a link pointing to a pirate site offering the MeLabs compiler.

Other than that, there's really nothing to moderate as the participating forum members are polite and respectful. The only bug I'll comment about is that new members tend to Log-On and shoot questions without thoroughly exploring the site first. Having only the most recent posts displayed as a default does give rise to "if I can't see it, then obviously it's not there".

lester
- 11th March 2005, 21:08
If we change the order or amount of posts shown by default, we'll still never solve the probelm.

What we need is to show relevent posts first, but we dont have the filter working yet.