PDA

View Full Version : On Screen Displays (OSD) with PIC and MAX 7456

John_Mac
- 12th April 2009, 21:18
Has anyone implemented an OSD using a PIC and MAX 7456 IC? Would love to see a schematic and code example.

Thanks

mister_e
- 12th April 2009, 23:54
Have a look at their Evaluation Kit
http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/5569/t/al

They provide the whole schematic (which look really like the one in the DataSheet, what a coincidence). From there, it's just a matter of having fun to remove some not needed stuff, and connect it to your favourite PIC micro.

They also have few app note, tutorials and software. Download everything, sit back and enjoy some reading :D

You'll need to use some kind of SPI communication, SHIFTOUT may work, but for some reason, I feel it will be a bit too slow... worth a try, that's for sure.

Choose a PIC with decent memory size and with MSSP port, and you're ready to discover the joys of head-banging and software/hardware design from almost ground zero.

mister_e
- 13th April 2009, 00:09
Here's few code example in Proton PDS. Should be easy enough to convert.
http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10723&

That's a neat and cute IC, a little pricey though...

John_Mac
- 13th April 2009, 05:48
Was hoping to not have to spend 100 bucks on an eval kit. Anyone have experience actually implementing this?

mister_e
- 13th April 2009, 06:11
I never said that, I gave you links to it, so obviously you haven't go there yet.

corvette123
- 22nd April 2009, 23:38
Hello,

stop on by www.thesiliconhorizon.com

we have 2 boards that use the max7456.

one is powered by a 40 mips dsPIC.

the other is a dev board that just has the max 7456 and you can hook it to whatever... (this is the cheaper solution.)

stop on by.

code is included with the techFX Motion OSD board.

it also uses a GPS, optional accelo and an optional IMU.

lots of goodies on it.

thnx

corvette123
- 22nd April 2009, 23:39
oh yah we also have a video of its output, however the output is whiter now than the video shows...

but itll give you an idea of what you can do with it.

we didnt use a custom character set with the max 7456,

but we did implements a directional heading that scrolls and it works great.

code is included with purchase.