PDA

View Full Version : ICD, ICD2, Pre-Purchase Opinions

mslaney
- 29th December 2004, 14:08
This is a pseudo-poll.
I've gotten some pretty good info/ideas from mister_e but I wanted to put out some general questions. I think i've pestered him enough!!!

Who is using ICD1/2 devices?

Any experience with Microchip ICD clones?
I like the idea of using the chip mfgrs board.

How does it actually work? (step by step please, i'm new).

Have you made your own or purchase a prebuilt?
(post schematic and tips and tricks)

I suppose thats all for now. I'm looking forward to hearing the good news and bad news!!!

mister_e
- 29th December 2004, 17:55
Hehe i'm not pestered enough, i'm there to help/give my opinion to other here with my own knowledge. Feel free to contact me as many time as you want.

Mslaney wants to know what about the OLIMEX ICD-2, wich is suppose to be 100% clone of Microchip ICD-2.

My point was that i prefer to use the original one, the one wich is made by Microchip. IMO the microchip one will be supported as well they will be on the market... long long time. OLIMEX... who knows??? BUT since it's SUPPOSE to be 100% clone, i figure it can be also good. Actually i don't know the difference in the cost too.

I also suggest ICD from MicroCode Studio (full version) wich is maybe enough for some ICD tests. Little software that can be an interresting solution. Maybe not 100% real time but cheaper than any ICDs on the market and it gives you a great idea of what's happenning inside the PIC.

If you want to learn more about MicroCode Studio ICD, Bruce give a really good & simple explanation of it on his website. Look there:

http://www.rentron.com/PicBasic/MCS_X3.htm

You can download the free version that gives you 1 ICD model : PIC16F628.

i use it sometimes and it do the job for me. Everybody's different, hope somebody else will post other opinion on that!