PDA

View Full Version : 8+8 IOs controlled via sms

aratti
- 3rd December 2008, 15:12
I am projecting an IO device controlled via sms. It could be interesting for me, to know how many digits are used to make a national phone call in the various country.

For instance, in my country we need 10 digits for a national call (3 digits for the operator + 7 for the cellphone).

Since it is my intention to publish the final project, if I will obtain some answers from the forum members, I could end up (if feasible) with a system that could be used globally.

Please, along with the digit length, indicate also the country.

Al.

ThaSanta
- 3rd December 2008, 19:09
Hey Aratti.

I'm from Denmark, Europe.

Here we only use 8 digits. of course theres is the country-code +45, but normally, we don't use it, because our phones are programmed to in-country calls. Unless we type another country-code in front of the number.

aratti
- 3rd December 2008, 20:10
Thank you Lerche, for the information. In fact I am planning to allocate space only for in-country (National) sms delivery.

Al.

mackrackit
- 3rd December 2008, 23:29
To make an "in country" call here 10 digits are used. The first three are the area code.

aratti
- 3rd December 2008, 23:49
Thank you Dave for the answer.

Al.

Archangel
- 4th December 2008, 01:16
In fact we have to dial 11 digits here in L A County, California. A 1, a 3 digit area code, and the 7 digit phone number, even to call across the street.

muddy0409
- 4th December 2008, 02:43
In Australia: 04xx xxx xxx
That makes 10 digits. The first two are ALWAYS 04.

aratti
- 4th December 2008, 07:13
Thank you Joe S., thank you Peter, for your input.

Al.

Gurkan-demirbas
- 5th December 2008, 10:39
Turkey
0XXXYYYYYYY (11 digits with zero)
X --> Operator (3 digits)
Y --> phone number (7 digits)
The country codes are not used, if the call is not international.

GurkaN
----------------
izmir - Turkey

aratti
- 5th December 2008, 12:05
GurkaN, thank you for the contribution to design a global map of cellphone calling system.

Al.

Norbac
- 5th December 2008, 14:28
Here the info for Mexico:

xxx yyyyyyy

xxx = area code
yyyyyyy = phone number

aratti
- 5th December 2008, 15:49
Thank you Norbac, for the input.

Al.

fronkensteen
- 5th December 2008, 16:32
http://communication.howstuffworks.com/telephone-country-codes.htm/printable

All sorts of information. Another search for the E.164 standard is revealing also. Lots of standards, so little code space.

b1arrk5
- 6th December 2008, 03:35
Hi Al,
I did something like this three years ago, using a Multi-Tech modem for CDMA networks. (CDMA is popular here in the US, most of Europe is GSM.) I allocated an array with ten bytes, three for the area code, and seven for the mobile telephone number. On our network you don't have to dial a 1 first, but other networks might require it. When a user sent an SMS message in to the system they had to have a command and a four digit password in the body of the message. Then the system sent back a response to the phone number that came in on their message, in the caller id header.
If the command wasn't valid, or the password wasn't valid then it sent back a message to that effect.
If you'd like to see it I can post the code, but it will take me a day or so to find it, it's on a back up disk somewhere.

Jerry.

aratti
- 6th December 2008, 10:53
Thank you Jerry for your kind offer, but the project is quite finished and I am testing the system. Anyway if you find the code, please post it, I will be glad to read it and search for improvements on mine.

Yes I have used the same approch "a pass code" plus a "command code" but the system will not respond to sms with wrong coding or received commercial sms. They will be delated without any answer. (It will be too costly to answer to wrong messages)

System will give the user, the possibility to change the pass code and entering his own phone numbers (4 different cell phones could be memorized and these numbers used for answering to an incoming valid sms).

From what I see from the test trial, it is going to be a nice gadget.

I will publish the project in few days (I am putting together the documentation). I hope to hear your comments.

Thank you again Jerry.

Al.

aratti
- 11th December 2008, 11:29
From the tests performed, the "SMS IO CONTROLLER" seems working very well.

The system as it is downloaded, needs to be set for personal phone numbers, use the VB application enclosed, for the setup. (remember to set the number of digits used for in-country call, as first thing)

Unfortunatly I was unable to upload the file here, because zipped file is 500KB!.
So you can download it from my blog site @ :http://techni.caliti.es/blog/.

- EVERY GOOD WISH FOR THE HOLIDAY SEASON AND THE NEW YEAR -

Al.